Papio trolling

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Papio trolling

Post by UluaHunta » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Alohas,

Little bit off topic but need some advice/help. Planning on get a "smaller" size boat for troll for Papio and bottom fish. What kind reels is better spinner or conventional why? Reasons??

So far I heard conventionals better. Also what are good reels for this job? Jigmasters Senators torium 30 or 50? Please provide any info alohas God bless
loose $$ money!!

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Papio trolling

Post by kona-ulua-style » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:47 pm

We found larger size spinning reels were great for casting lures and dropping lines straight down for bottom fishing... higher speeds is more desireable .. Braid lines is a must here... a small boat means staying closer to shore...

I enjoy just drifting near shore for bottom fishing, and we use med to larger spinning reels...many times just going for the smaller game fishes..

If bottom fishing in deeper waters? ...a 4/0 size reels are enough... braid lines is prefer...High speed is a must... Penn extended 4-1 was too slow for us..dropping lines down till reel was almost empty...lol ..took forever to bring the fishes up... 5-1 or higher...you will want the speed to retrieve lines...repeat braid lines is way , way better too..

Trolling for papios, you can troll with any set-up you want,,, spinner or conventional...I think it is more fun hooking papios on a spinner set-up..and easier to fish with... Keep things simple...more fun for sure...

Haven't fish from a boat in a very long time,... I sure miss the fun, drifting near shore and catching all kinds of stuffs...

What reels to use? ..I would consider carrying both..never know what is going to be biting...
Many years ago, when I live on Oahu, we were using our Penn spinners with about 25 test line and hit a school of Aku...it was so much fun...!

Aloha,

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by UluaHunta » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks kona ulua style. Got a penn battle 6000 and 750ssm. What size braid 40 lb 50lb?
loose $$ money!!

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by deepkona » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:04 am

UluaHunta,
I guess going 40 lb. or 50 lb. would work out fine but just wanted to give you a heads-up on what worked for my friends and me when we slow trolled for Papio.
We kept it simple for trolling so we could change to bouncing the bottom when we got to our spot:
Mainline - 2 oz. egg sinker - two way swivel - 8' of leader to a strong straight shank hook.
When we reached our bottom fishing spot, change the leader to a shorter version with grubs or lures for bottom fish. This set-up caught bottom a lot though. So, if we were not lazy, re-tied mainline - two way swivel - rubber band to 6/8 oz bank sinker with 2-3 drop loops with short leaders above the lead with Ah hooks and grub tails(clear w/red, blue glitters for the goatfish worked good).

We found that the best trolling baits were not lures: # 1 = fresh dead o'ama, # 2 = cuttlefish/squid cut into long triangular strips.
Have fun out there.
Mahalos,

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:14 pm

There is a rig use to drag along the bottoms... using a torpedo lead in middle of a long stiff wire... Rig is approx. 16 inch long..lead in middle, with a loop on one end to tie to the mainline or lead line..

This rig will allow the line to stay on bottom, bouncing off the sand, reefs and rocks... also acting as attractant..dragging on the bottom of the sea...

Aloha, works great if drafting along the shallows..