Ready to Throw Conventional

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Coors Light

Ready to Throw Conventional

Post by Coors Light » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:39 pm

I finally decided to get into Conventionals,So wats a good setup for starters?wat model Newell is good? i know jigmaster is good for Penn, and wat good rod beside Nitro?

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Ready to Throw Conventional

Post by kona-ulua-style » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Consider this just a guide for Hawaii shoreline fishing using conventional reels..
Bait casting- most guys will use 40lb or 50lb mainline... you will want a reel that can carry 300 yds of mainline -mono.
Sliding reels most guys go with 80lb mainline ( 300yds-mono)

Baiting casting- You will want a med to med heavy rods... you will want more flex for casting and get more distance.
Sliding, stiffer rods are more for fighting bigger fish, odds will be greater hooking up in deeper waters or while sliding..you can slide down bigger baits.. and easier to fight a bigger fish, with a stiffer rod. ( idea is to be able to turn the ulua head towards you for one)

I think you have a good idea what you are looking for!

... after a while, with more experience you will get many chances to see and tried all kinds of rods and reels, ..what works for one fisherman may not work for you too..lol

Ask any shoreline fisherman in Hawaii.... How many rods and reels they went thru in a life time... "ENDLESS"
And always get something new too...

I like the new penn Squall reels, reasonable price, and gaining popularity on BI.
-------------------
To be successful in everything in life.... is to copy successful people in what they do.

Aloha,

Coors Light

Post by Coors Light » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:09 pm

So i got one Jigmaster n 13' Fenwick, the Fenwick is on the flexible is that good to start wit?cuz i think about trading for a stiffer rod.

kona-ulua-style wrote:Consider this just a guide for Hawaii shoreline fishing using conventional reels..
Bait casting- most guys will use 40lb or 50lb mainline... you will want a reel that can carry 300 yds of mainline -mono.
Sliding reels most guys go with 80lb mainline ( 300yds-mono)

Baiting casting- You will want a med to med heavy rods... you will want more flex for casting and get more distance.
Sliding, stiffer rods are more for fighting bigger fish, odds will be greater hooking up in deeper waters or while sliding..you can slide down bigger baits.. and easier to fight a bigger fish, with a stiffer rod. ( idea is to be able to turn the ulua head towards you for one)

I think you have a good idea what you are looking for!

... after a while, with more experience you will get many chances to see and tried all kinds of rods and reels, ..what works for one fisherman may not work for you too..lol

Ask any shoreline fisherman in Hawaii.... How many rods and reels they went thru in a life time... "ENDLESS"
And always get something new too...

I like the new penn Squall reels, reasonable price, and gaining popularity on BI.
-------------------
To be successful in everything in life.... is to copy successful people in what they do.

Aloha,

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Fenwick 16810"s... if you got this rod....once consider one of the best made at that time....

Hope you got the extended jigmaster, hold more line , mainly.

What size line you will be throwing... also consider lead sizes, try 5 oz , 6 oz , 7 and 8 oz.. see what works best for you...z

The idea is to get the lead to spin the reel, in free spool, and getting the fishing line and lead going the same time..
This is more technique than power, key is to balance the spin of the reel to speed of the lead that is flying..

Backlash...we all do it.. expect it.... even after years and years of casting...

How do you know when you master the casting? ..when you do not have to think about it... like earning a true Black belt...
when the punch and kick is coming at your face / body... you block or move out the way without thinking...

like ducking from a ball or reaching out to catch one... you move without thinking of the steps to do it--- this is mastering the technique...

Lots of luck to you..... may your cast always fly far and in the right directions...

Aloha,

Backlash...