Road to the Sea - howz da 4x4?

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

whitewash
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by whitewash » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:18 pm

is timbuktoo the next island thing u can go on down the coast? we went and didnt get the rock, and it was about another 20 minute drive in. theres a little gravel area to park with a rock wall thing and cement steppers to the place u can cross. i posted a pic in the log your catch section. lemme know if thats it. decent red fish action at night, but bankrupt city man. theres a shelf that extends about 30 yards out and then it drops off to blue. had guys trolling all morning making passes one after another right in front of us. we didnt have a plank and was doin the aama crab, but it got pretty hairy cause we were on the rock from about 6 with a neg tide, till about 10, when the tide was building to a 2.1 at midnight. this was also when the west swell was coming in. gotta be careful. oh and what do u guys use as a plank to get to these rocks? theres pegs and stuff so we were figuring maybe a 2x12 reinforced or something. im new to these \"wild\" fishign spots so any info is appreciated. thanks guys

omer110
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by omer110 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:37 pm

sounds like timbuktoo. were you casting way over the ledge or just barely? was it easy for you to cast there? i dont like how the poles stand straight up. its safer to use a plank but people hop over without it
Email uluatagging@hawaii.gov for Papio and Ulua tagging kits

red
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by red » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:43 pm

i know a guy that used to use an old painters plank to cross to the island but it snapped one night, while he was on it. good thing the tide was out.
wailoa casting club
\"jus go till blow!\"

whitewash
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by whitewash » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:34 pm

eh cig. did u ever get the info from your friend on the depth by the rock?
omer, the rock is kinda lop-sided so first pole was easy to cast out since could make anykine, but after that it was more difficult with the other poles in the way so had to stand at awkward angles. i was all excited so first cast i blasted it out then realized the drop and afterwards tried to place it with a dumpshot right by the ledge. anyone got tips for that spot? know about how much further it is to manuka from there?

red
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by red » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:51 pm

maybe an hour half or so to get back to manuka bay. kinda have to pick your way around the lighthouse area, get some dead end places. not so many good grounds in between.
wailoa casting club
\"jus go till blow!\"

Ciguatera
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Ciguatera » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Oh sorry I forgot to ask him. Been a while so I totally forget. If I see him I'll ask. All I know is that the 40 fathom is not too far out. Probably over a 100 yards out. Get one ledge or something as others said.

uluapoundr
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by uluapoundr » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:11 pm

There is a rumor going around town that I have been telling people how to get to this spot. Funny thing is, when I caught my fish, it was the first time I've ever fished the rock. I have never told anyone how to get to the rock, and if I did, is that a crime? When I wrote my article, I never said where I fished, HFN decided to list the spot's name. Have I broken a fishing etiquitte? I don't mean to start any bashing like it was 3 years ago on this site. I admit that I have shared fishing tips, things that have worked for me. I'm in no way saying that my style of fishing is the way to fish, but I honestly like helping others who may be getting started in the sport. Like any sport, I believe it is important to be a \"good sport\" and not a \"sore looser\". It's sad that perhaps my sharing of ulua fishing has rubbed certain club members the wrong way. I knew that there would be some who would not approve of any form of sharing. Why can't we all just relax a little, stop being selfish, and fish with the Aloha spirit.

I continue to preach what I do believe is right like hauling out the opala, tagging fish, fishing as a team, etc. I'll let God be the true judge of my behavior.

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:37 pm

If you could see the look on my face - the best I can describe it as is one of disgust. People will blame whatever they can for their own shortcomings and something like this is not new to this forum - people have just learned to ignore it. On top of that, others will take pot shots at people who are successful and you have definitely been successful at helping others learn the sport.

The thing I find really stupid is that the place or directions are not a big secret like it's been only discovered in the last year or so. Road to the Sea has been in countless articles over many, many years and even published in books so it doesn't take rocket science to find it. Uluapounder, it is good to approach things with the idea of sharing and getting along but there will always be those very few who we should just leave alone (and behind).
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:42 pm

One more thing :lol: People have asked me why there are rumors being spread on this site and you know what? And that just cracks me up because I find that more rumors are spread by the people talking about this site - especially those that don't even bother to look at it! Heck, it may even be better since it's in print for everyone to see and have their fair share of opportunity to comment on anything their heart desires. Simply amazing :lol:
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

Ciguatera
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Ciguatera » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:58 pm

No worry Laron... we got your back. All your countless tips and advices are more important than the few scum that like to talk $41+. Forget about them... you did no wrong. Like Brian said.... this place has been in HFN multiple times and is not a \"SECRET\" place. We knew about this place since the 80's and so did another 2000 people. Keep doing what you doing and make sure you don't fish with the \"backstabbers\". Maybe one day we all on this site who like the comraderie will fish together with you and just have fun... and the fish caught wil be secondary to all the fun experienced as frenz. 8)

uluapoundr
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by uluapoundr » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:24 pm

Thanks for you support. Needless to say, the rumor that was shared with me today was pretty disheartening. Perhaps why I choose not to join any clubs. Here's another example. I was a member of a trolling club, served as Secretary and Treasurer for 2005. It was my goal to make it fun for all since in the past, members complained that money was not spread among members. Well, I spent $11,000 on the banquet compared to $4000 on other years. Every boat got an extra $100 gas card as a gift. Some members didn't show up to the banquet, so I had a hard time getting them their card, even paid for postage out of my own pocket to mail them the card. People still complained that they got it late or that they didn't know about the gift until I mentioned in a newsletter. Cannot win.

As for the ulua fishing, I'll continue to spread the aloha. I've met and fished with 8 new ulua fishing friends in the last year or so (GTULUA, BraddahKimo, Nenuepoke, KohalaBoy, Omer110 to name a few) despite what a few critics think, I'm not here to tarnish or ruin spots or the sport for anyone. My goal is to turn the bad reputation around of some fishermen and show the public how tight a group we are. Just come join me on a trip and you'll see the fun we have, catch or not! The story telling is endless. I haven't caught an ulua since my December catch but you know what, plenty good fun. Two of my friends have landed their biggest uluas to date in the past month, one on my old pole. I've sold and given away a lot of my gear in the last few months just so that my friends can upgrade their gear. Just ask anyone of my fishing partners, they don't call me Tutu Kane (Grandpa) for no reason.

Perhaps this is a lesson to us all. Time to make a conscious effort to fish aloha.

In the months to come, I will be submitting more ulua fishing articles, some stories, some tips. I knew writing would put me at risk for being criticized, it's just sad that the critics are actually lying to make me look bad.

It's stuff like this that motivates me to try even harder to spread the aloha. I need to go fish, all this negativity is drawing me back to the ocean. Let's go fish!

GTULUA
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by GTULUA » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:16 pm

I was shocked to hear about this :o First of all Let me tell you that Laron is one of the most kind hearted generous people I have ever met and anyone I know will vouch for that. He has taught me a great deal about fishing since I have known him but more importantly he has taught me the value of friendship and just life in general. He is always there for a friend in need and he may not know it but helped me a great deal through one of the hardest trials in my life. I stand behind him all the way and I know that anyone who knows him well enough would do the same. Over the past 8 months or so we have fished almost EVERY week and I have literally spent all my money on it and hav'nt caught anything in about a year. But you know what? I'll tell you. Sure we go to fish but the comraderie is whats its all about and sure I want to catch but it dos'nt matter to me personally. I could go on and on for pages and pages about the kind things he has done but I think everyone gets the picture. Anyone who knows me knows I never start any waves and dont even get involved but for Laron I will speak out and back. Yeah Poundr is right the ocean is calling. yet sadly I have to try make money this weekend so weather permitting Im working. If not I GOIN GO FISH!!!! Good luck and safe fishing for all who venture out this long weekend!
ALOHA!!!!!

GTULUA
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by GTULUA » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:16 pm

I was shocked to hear about this :o First of all Let me tell you that Laron is one of the most kind hearted generous people I have ever met and anyone I know will vouch for that. He has taught me a great deal about fishing since I have known him but more importantly he has taught me the value of friendship and just life in general. He is always there for a friend in need and he may not know it but helped me a great deal through one of the hardest trials in my life. I stand behind him all the way and I know that anyone who knows him well enough would do the same. Over the past 8 months or so we have fished almost EVERY week and I have literally spent all my money on it and hav'nt caught anything in about a year. But you know what? I'll tell you. Sure we go to fish but the comraderie is whats its all about and sure I want to catch but it dos'nt matter to me personally. I could go on and on for pages and pages about the kind things he has done but I think everyone gets the picture. Anyone who knows me knows I never start any waves and dont even get involved but for Laron I will speak out and back. Yeah Poundr is right the ocean is calling. yet sadly I have to try make money this weekend so weather permitting Im working. If not I GOIN GO FISH!!!! Good luck and safe fishing for all who venture out this long weekend!
ALOHA!!!!!

whitewash
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by whitewash » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:01 am

ive been interested in fishing my whole life but in the past year, going for that elusive ulua has been a top notch priority. like MOST, i believe fishing is about the fun times and memofies. for those who take it all too seriously and are just trying to be king of the ulua kingdom they gotta just relax. larons articles in HFN and postings on this site have taught me so much and exposed me to all different types of styles that i never knew of before....and i never even met the guy! i can see how he's a true role model to the community by spreading the true aloha spirit and passing on tradition and culture to the next generation. i dont see why anyone would go out of their way to talk trash about such a respectable person in the fishing community.

fishindude
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by fishindude » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:17 am

uluapoundr wrote:I admit that I have shared fishing tips, things that have worked for me. I'm in no way saying that my style of fishing is the way to fish, but I honestly like helping others who may be getting started in the sport. Like any sport, I believe it is important to be a "good sport" and not a "sore looser". It's sad that perhaps my sharing of ulua fishing has rubbed certain club members the wrong way. I knew that there would be some who would not approve of any form of sharing. Why can't we all just relax a little, stop being selfish, and fish with the Aloha spirit.

I continue to preach what I do believe is right like hauling out the opala, tagging fish, fishing as a team, etc. I'll let God be the true judge of my behavior.

hit the nail on the head. dont worry about it laron, we got your back.