Fisheries Management Regulator Review Community Workshops

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Bamboo Man
Member 25+
Member 25+

Fisheries Management Regulator Review Community Workshops

Post by Bamboo Man » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:28 am

Coming from the grapevine:

"Do you know of a fishing rule that doesn't seem to work or perhaps is out of date? Maybe there's a rule that has worked well in one area and might be good for another? Have you ever wondered how these rules were made in the first place and how you can provide your input?

If you have, come and join the Western Pacific Fishery Management Council and various governmental agencies who are holding community workshops to discuss the efficacy and necessity of current fishing rules and regulations that affect aquatic resources, fishing and fisheries in Hawaii."

FREE ADMISSION and FREE OR VALIDATED PARKING

September 19, 6:30-9:30 pm Pier 38 @ Nico's (restaurant will be closed for business); 1133 N. Nimitz Hwy, Honolulu, Oahu
September 22, 6:30-9:30 pm Kauai Community College Cafeteria, 3-1901 Kaumaulii Hwy, Lihue, Kauai
September 23, 6:30-9:30 pm Kulana Oiwi Multi-service Center, 600 Maunaloa Hwy, Kaunakakai, Molokai
September 24, 12:30-3:30 pm Lanai Community Center, 309 7th Street, Lanai City, Lanai
September 27, 6:30-9:30 pm Maui Waena Intermediate School, 795 Onehee Ave, Kahului, Maui
September 29, 6:30-9:30 pm Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, Mala Ikena Rm, 71 Banyan Dr, Hilo, Hawaii
September 30, 6:30-9:30 pm Pahala Community Center, 96-1149 Kamani St, Kau, Hawaii
October 1, 1:30-4:30 pm King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, 75-5660 Palani Rd., Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

For more information visit www.wpcouncil.org or call 522-8220
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all get gripes with the rules (especially the dumb ones like the kona crab/lobster ones). Here's our chance to tell them what we think!

konaplugcaster
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Fisheries Management Regulator Review Community Workshop

Post by konaplugcaster » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:53 pm

THanks so much for posting this one BambooMan

For all the BIg Island guys who will also attend the meeting in Kona, lets be sure to get the REAL story behind the looming closure of the fishing at Kukio-4 Seasons-Kona Village area.
The scoop as from what I have heard through an employee actually working on the project is this:
Certain people feel that the reef in front of these high-end resort communities is depleted, and these people want to close the fishing/diving to the public for benefit of the reef. Research is being conducted to gather data about fish populations within the given area, and based on the findings the fishery could be shut down completely. Now, I'm all for taking steps to properly manage a fishery, even if they are aggressive. So the theory is all fine and good, but...

Here is my major concern. It is just all too convenient for this high end exclusive community to use their OWN PRIVATELY PAID scientists to conduct the research that has an effect on the use of PUBLIC WATER. As far as I understand, the people conducting the fisheries surveys within this area are actually employees of the resort community. Sound biased?!? It sure does to me! The whole thing seems like a very very sneaky ploy to use biased science into developing another way to keep the public OUT of their ritzy community.
I want to know what right a private community has with making its own decisions about our public resources. If the reef is truly under a big threat from fishing damages, then why isn't DLNR (PUBLICLY FUNDED) taking the lead on this for the benefit of the public that it is designed to serve?

Now i'm all fired up and want to punch a hole through the wall :evil: :evil: :evil: BULLS**T

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:46 pm

KPC, they and other resorts have been trying that for years and not only in Kona. For the most part, they have not been successful as people have recognized the selfish motives. Unfortunately, in this day and age, resorts now have the backing of environmental groups and eco tour companys that clearly will take any closures they can. A very similar thing actually happened here in Honolulu with the Waikiki MLCD. It wasn't supposed to be a permanently closed area but part of a rotating/alternating closure which was supposed to work with other areas around the island. The plan was abandoned but Waikiki residents and hotels saw it as one way to lower the use of the area and helped twist it into a permanent closure. I really hope you can bring up this discussion, although maybe it might be difficult to at this meeting since it is about current regs. Maybe it's more appropriate for the DLNR "Listening Session" if one is coming to Kona. With some of these environmental groups and reef advocates, it's a very big business and it's very often not about what's best for the reef but more often about what the reef offers to line pockets.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Hello, Kona Villages...NOT true about depleted fishes....

It is a great place to fish... not a easy place to fish..(have to park and walk)... although they did give rides on those four wheelers if you were going to fish the point..? Not sure any more because it is closed

Just my point of view on this one... ( had many friends working at the Kona Village...all lay-off)

Aloha, ( just a note..for over 20 years I delivery Potato chips and Magazines at Kona Villages..rare to see any fisherman and spear fisherman...on the properties...)

konaplugcaster
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by konaplugcaster » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Agreed Kona-Ulua, thats why it's so infuriating that these guys are trying something so underhanded to keep the public out of their little community. That place is one of my favorite spots to go and fish after work. One of the biggest reasons i think that they are trying to do this, is because there are a few groups of guys who have been known to go in and throw net in the ponds scattered around the property. A few years ago, i sold about 3,000 moi fingerlings to 4 Seasons resort. They stocked them in their ponds and the fish grew well. On several occasions, my friend who used to work the ponds told me that throw netters had snuck in there and netted the school. This went on for a while and kept happening until my friend said that there were only a handful of moi left in the pond that was getting raided. Also one time i did see some guys bomb a school of undersize moi out of season, gotta be over 50 fish all under 10 inches. A few bad apples always ruin it for the rest of us.
Three days ago i was down there plugging and wading the outside reef, looked behind me and at one point there were at least a dozen guys with nets all working the shoreline. From my own experience, that shoreline gets pretty heavy fishing pressure. I fish it probably 20-30 times per year, and there are always other guys out fishing/diving/netting. I figure that that just irritates the owners down there to have to allow us fishermen on "their" reef. If they wanted private land, they should go buy a ranch in the midwest and shoot anybody who trespasses on your bass pond. This is Hawaii, and the shoreline is for EVERYONE.