Massive Urchin Die Off on Kauai

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Massive Urchin Die Off on Kauai

Post by Brian F. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:38 am

From the Garden Island: Large-scale die-off of sea urchins discovered off Kaumakani
...ultimately, the area was too large to fully survey, even with underwater scooters. Based upon their observations and available data, they estimate 52,000 individual heart urchins have recently died off.
We can only speculate about what’s killing them right now,” he said, “but here’s something to think about: Kaua‘i produces more GMO seeds than anyplace. Now, there are a whole bunch of people in the genetic engineering camp that say GMO crops need less pesticides, but the new wave of crops is more toxic than ever before.

“The BT corn is meant to kill,” Heacock said. “It has an insecticidal protein in the corn. In the Midwest, they found the residue from GMO corn is related to aquatic insect deaths, which are food for baby fish.”

Kaua‘i seed companies constantly till and grub their soil, which is full of these chemicals, he said. When it rains, the loosened red topsoil ends flows into streams and rivers that eventually flow out into the ocean and onto coral reefs.
Read more: http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/l ... z1mx7kXLHR
Last edited by Brian F. on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Massive Vana Die Off on Kauai

Post by kona-ulua-style » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Man... are the many reasons... for the the problems of the world... GMO was once the world best source of more food...today... the death of MAN....

Aloha,