Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

ORMP Listening Sessions - Don't Be Left out

Post by Brian F. » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:37 am

Got this from a friend:
Aloha Family and Friends,

This is a personal appeal to please try to make these meetings. Other than Waianae, there are no other meetings scheduled on Oahu (yet) and we’re trying to find out why and if they plan on scheduling one for Honolulu area, but neighbor islands meeting times/locations listed below.

I was present at a conference several years ago where the Office of Planning presented the Hawaii Ocean Resesources Management Plan (HORMP). I was shocked to discover that the authors of this document, which is intended to guide our ocean resource management in the future, claim that they incorporated ALL ocean resource users in the formation of this plan. The document lists dozens of state, county, federal agencies and other organizations including serveral environmental organizations. Although the claim was they incorporated “all” users, THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE FISHING, DIVING OR BOATING GROUP listed on the document as participants in this plan. Whether omitted by oversight or on purpose, the bottomline is that the fishermen had no say in this plan which is one of many issues that may very well shape the future of fishing in Hawaii. If you bring up the document and read it (and understand it) in its entirety, you will discover that there is specific language in there that can lead to the creation of more MPA’s and more...

In the following question and answer session, where I grilled the presenter “WHY WAS THE FISHING COMMUNITY LEFT OUT OF THIS?”…. I was pretty much answered with silence….

These meetings is the fishing communities opportunity to have are concerns voiced and addressed in the next revision of the plan. I hope you can all attend. You can also submit comments on the link below.

Mahalo
*****************************************************************************************************************************
http://hawaii.gov/gov/newsroom/press-re ... ement-plan

State to Hold Public Listening Sessions for Ocean Resources Management Plan

April 18, 2012

HONOLULU – The State of Hawai'i Office of Planning Coastal Zone Management (CZM) Program is inviting coastal and ocean users, as well as other stakeholders and interested individuals, to a series of listening sessions being held statewide as it begins the Hawai'i Ocean Resources Management Plan (ORMP) update.

Scheduled as follows, open house starts at 5:30 p.m. with formal presentation to start at 6:30 p.m., unless otherwise specified:

• May 2, Wai'anae District Park Multi-Purpose Room, 85-601 Farrington Hwy., Wai'anae, O'ahu
• May 16, West Hawai'i Civic Center, 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Hwy, Kailua-Kona, Hawai'i Island
• May 17, Hilo High School Cafeteria, 556 Waianuenue Ave., Hilo, Hawai'i Island
• May 22, Lana'i Senior Center, 309 Seventh St., Lana'i City, Lana'i (Open house begins at 6 p.m.)
• May 23, Pa'ia Community Center, Hana Hwy., Pa'ia, Maui
• May 30, Mitchell Pauole Community Center, 90 Ainoa St., Kaunakakai, Moloka'i

The ORMP takes a place-based approach to management of ocean resources in the islands, taking into account recognition of the ecological connections between land and sea, the link between human activities and impacts on the environment, and the need for improved collaboration and stewardship in natural resources governance.

In addition to coordination of overall implementation of the ORMP, the CZM Program is responsible for the review and periodic update of the plan. Last updated in 2006, the ORMP sets forth guiding principles and recommendations for use of coastal zone land and water resources, taking into consideration ecological, cultural, historic and esthetic values and the needs for compatible economic development.

The CZM Program is currently updating the 2006 ORMP by conducting an evaluation of the first five years of implementation, identifying areas of focus for the next five years, and determining how the ORMP should be refined or changed to incorporate new issues.

For more information on the ORMP, visit: http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/czm/ormp/ormp.php

Public input on the ORMP may also be submitted via e-mail to ORMP_Update@dbedt.hawaii.gov or by mail to the Office of Planning, Coastal Zone Management Program, P.O. Box 2359, Honolulu, HI 96804.

Individuals requesting accommodations for disabilities should call the CZM Program at (808) 587-2846, or submit requests in writing at least five days in advance to the above address or via fax at (808) 587-2824
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: ORMP Listening Sessions - Don't Be Left out

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Thank-you Brian... We will try to make it... On May 16, 2012....WED.. NOT sure of time..? We work till 3:00 pm... Hope it is at night..?

Aloha,

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Sun May 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Kona, open house starts at 5:30 p.m. with formal presentation to start at 6:30 p.m.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

konaplugcaster
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by konaplugcaster » Thu May 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks Brian, hope to see some fellow forum members there. Can we show up in wet tabis?