proposed rules for Kona

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

fishyfishy
Mega poster
Mega poster

proposed rules for Kona

Post by fishyfishy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:02 am

http://westhawaiitoday.com/sections/new ... rules.html

I have not read the entire rule package, it doesn't involve Maui so its up to big island peeps......need to watch the fine print because this rule package is complex and diversified.
"No Resource, No Fisherman"
A post by Darrell Tanaka

konaplugcaster
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: proposed rules for Kona

Post by konaplugcaster » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm not a diver so i dont really know, but isn't scuba spearfishing kinda frowned on already within the spearfishing community? Sort of like paddle out fishing is for ulua.

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:20 pm

konaplugcaster wrote:I'm not a diver so i dont really know, but isn't scuba spearfishing kinda frowned on already within the spearfishing community? Sort of like paddle out fishing is for ulua.
Yes, freedivers are looking (down) at using scuba as the most efficient manner to get food from a sportsman's point of view but when one fisherman does that, the finger pointing is endless as there is always someone else pointing at the first party and on and on. Someone handlining ulua off a boat will be frowned at by the paddle out fisherman will be frowned at by the shorecaster will be frowned at by the flyfisherman will be frowned at by ......... :D
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

fishyfishy
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by fishyfishy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:51 pm

konaplugcaster wrote:I'm not a diver so i dont really know, but isn't scuba spearfishing kinda frowned on already within the spearfishing community? Sort of like paddle out fishing is for ulua.
creating regulations because something is "frowned upon" because its not sporting is not how to manage things....if you going to ban a selective type of fishing, you better have good justification....it'll be interesting to see how the scuba guys adapt to the new reg...they not going to stop fishing, they just going to adapt to the new rule.
"No Resource, No Fisherman"
A post by Darrell Tanaka