Hnl City Council Bill 8 Passed/Signed by Mayor

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Hnl City Council Bill 8 Passed/Signed by Mayor

Post by Brian F. » Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 pm

The Honolulu City Council Bill 8, allowing persons to transit through City beach parks to reach the shoreline during the hours that parks are closed (i.e. - night), has been passed by the Council and signed into law by Mayor Caldwell. This bill was the result of a meeting that fishermen attended with the Governor's Office. HPD was in attendance also and initiated this bill as a way to help correct the problem of people being denied access to the shoreline by closing County beach parks. In many areas, long stretches of County park land are the only means of accessing the shoreline and fishermen, along with tourist and other residents wanting to get to the shoreline, were being cited for walking through the park. With the passing of this bill, persons can enter public parks during closed hours only to get to and from the shoreline. It is still illegal to sit or stay within the park boundaries (i.e. -above the high water mark, which is defined generally as the debris or vegetation line) during the hours when a park is closed.

Fishermen would like to thank HPD for initiating this bill and Councilmembers ANDERSON, CHANG, FUKUNAGA, HARIMOTO, KOBAYASHI, MANAHAN, MENOR, PINE, Chair MARTIN and Mayor CALDWELL for passing this bill unanimously and for signing it into law. Although this law addresses a small part of the issue that fishermen (and others that want to do other shoreline activities at night), it is a small step towards what we lost: the ability to fish at night undisturbed. Fishermen are continuing to press forward and will look for the fishing community's support in the future.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

BigJon555
Member 25+
Member 25+

Re: Hnl City Council Bill 8 Passed/Signed by Mayor

Post by BigJon555 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 am

That's excellent news. Much mahalos to all involved.