Magnet for casting convetional reel?

Ask anything about new or the tried and true

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Malloebloodline

Magnet for casting convetional reel?

Post by Malloebloodline » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:17 am

Ive heard of people magging (magnet to slow down the spool) there reel for casting. Does anybody know how to do this?? wanted to mag my 4/0. ive seen one guy from hawaii casting his ulua pole with a 4/0 that was magged, he never even need use his thumb only just to cast and stop the spool.

Don B
Mega poster
Mega poster

Re: Magnet for casting convetional reel?

Post by Don B » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:55 pm

When magnets are used to slow down a larger reel, they are mostly of a fixed nature. The magnets can be an asset when learning to cast. However, they do rob distance.

If you do decide to mag your reel, it is a very easy process to accomplish.

You will find a lot of information about this subject if you google magging a penn 4/0

Magnets are readily available from Honolulu Woodcraft.
http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search ... re%20earth

ahinahina
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by ahinahina » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:11 am

pm sent 8)

kalenao

Post by kalenao » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 pm

I live on Kauai and I have maged my 4/0, Jig Master, Torium 50 and Torium 30. I did this because I do not use my thumb when casting a conventional, I do not put the reel in free spool and play with the drag setting to give it just enough for a slight drag when casting. With a lot of trial and error I never had a backlash with this method when adjusted properly. And yes it does rob distance.

By glueing in earth magnets to the reels I use the free spool no thumb and with the Toriums I play with the spool end tennioner for added resistence. The longest cast is the Torium 50 with 60lb mono, 8 oz lead, on the original 13' HRW (1998) 100 yrds. The other reels with 60 lb and 50 lb test 8 oz lead average cast about 75 yds.
<*))))><go-productions