dunking reel

Ask anything about new or the tried and true

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

plugs4gt
Member 25+
Member 25+

dunking reel

Post by plugs4gt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:06 pm

I get 2 stradic fj 4k & 5k are these reels good to dunk with? targeting Papio oio whatever small game action. or better to buy penn reels for dunking?

Lmk what you guys think thanks ulua fishing fam

Ducusin808
Member 25+
Member 25+

Re: dunking reel

Post by Ducusin808 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:16 am

You could use the stradics to dunk but I think they're too expensive to leave on the rocks getting soaked in saltwater. I have a stradic and only whip/plug with it. I dunk with a daiwa bg60 that's built like a tank and can take a beating, had mine for 6 years with no problems yet. You could try the penn reels like the fierce or spinfishers. I'd keep your 4k for red fish at night and the 5k for daytime whipping. Just my thoughts though.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:27 am

It would be nice to be able to "buy" any reel for all our needs / or wants...lol I would use Stratics' for dunking...very nice smooth reels...

I have been using my Shimano Stratics 4000 for both small game dunking, Menpachi fishing, and small game whipping...maybe for over 15 plus years... Yes they need to be replaced or service more...as they break down..i will look on ebay and get another one...lol

I do use Penn 850's for tageting larger fish for dunking...eels, etc...and off course heavier rods to match...
--------------------
Nice thing about dunking with the 4000's, You will be using, smaller leads, small hooks, smaller fishng lines to replace, smaller cost to operate when fishing...for smaller game...which will give you "more fish" to take home and enjoy for dinner...

and smaller reels can land bigger fish too... Papios , palanis, Kala;s, nenues,Mu, my son landed a 8lb Uhu,10 Mu, had to use net to lift up...lol

Use what you have..make the most of it! Yes, bigger reels will make it easier to land the bigger fish... Nice if money was cheap...lol

Aloha,

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:55 pm

kona-ulua-style wrote:Use what you have..make the most of it! Yes, bigger reels will make it easier to land the bigger fish... Nice if money was cheap...lol

Aloha,
So true Kona! :P Some people think money grows on trees now days. :roll:

Use what you have, thats what I do. If you got the Stradic already, run em. :mrgreen: