J-Braid from Daiwa?

Ask anything about new or the tried and true

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

J-Braid from Daiwa?

Post by kona-ulua-style » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:32 pm

Daiwa makes a high end braid -Samurai braided and this newer J-Braid line...Very reason price line- low cost...

J-Braided line at Oshima store in KONA is $20.00 average price... the one i got was 20lb 300m/330 yds (0.23)

Reviews i read: color will come off instantly and will continue to bleed till gone..a very soft and limp line... smooth, round...
Also reviews it will knot like any other brands... same problems all braid lines have..

this braid is thicker or bit larger than other braids of the same poundages...

One video of an angler mention in a cast, sometimes ( knots) ...the line will snap and cut...he lost several expensive lures this way...same for the Samurai braid too... rarely happens with other braids...

Box label is huge with the name : J -Braid X8 and in huge letters also - MADE IN JAPAN.. by Dawai..

OK next is to try it... will let know after a few fishing trips... will be use a a Shimano Stratic 4000 - mainly whipping for light game on a 10 foot nitro or a 12 tica steelhead rod...

Has anyone try this j-braid?

Aloha,

poi
100+ Club
100+ Club

Re: J-Braid from Daiwa?

Post by poi » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:31 pm

I have it. I use 20# for my grub setup...landed choke fish with it so far and seems to last as long as any other brand. Hard to beat for the price.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Purchase some 65lb J-braid to whip for Uluas... NOT very good results... two major tangles while casting....one i was able to un-tangle...the other got to knotted...almost 80 yds inside... This was on one fishing trip... NO bites or chases...lol
This is Dawai J-made...not for me anymore... Penn 8000 ,Tsunami Airwave 11 foot (20-50lb class) using homemade 3.25oz lures

Next is to try the Power Pro Slick 80lb ....not sure ofmy next fishing trip... I have to pick coffee on the weekends on the family farm...season just started...

After reading many reviews, and other fishing line sites... Suffix 832 seems to be the number one brand ...follow by Power Pro, then spiderwire... base on many sites that i look at... Each person should do there own research and may find things different here...

Price is always a big consideration for many of us too...

Also i learn majority of the braid line materials DO NOT hold up colors that is added onto the fishing lines..material that is use...unable to hold the dyes, reason for the fades over time..some will start fading after one use too...

Aloha, my opinion only here... and only after a few tries... Long term? unknown...

learninghow
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by learninghow » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:17 am

Wasn't impressed by the PowerPro Slick. You'd be better off trying the Sufix or sticking to the regular PowerPro. IMO

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:59 pm

Just wondering here..? .. Braids do get twisted when throwing lures... in the beginning every cast went well..

..after many casts..the line started twisting.

Could it be from the lures spinning and not having the right size swivels? Not allowing for correction to prevent braid lines twist?

I just order ball bearing swivels... heavy duty ones... ( i was using regular swivels)...

Could this be where i went wrong? What is recommended for 3oz size lures?

Aloha,

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:21 am

I prefer 832 myself.
I have never liked PP.
I started with the original Spiderwire years ago...

I use ball-bearing swivels with welded ends.
I like the black ones.
I buy them from ebay from seller "saltyfins" under the brand "southern salt" in bulk.
It comes out cheaper per unit when bought in bulk lots...

Dockillemall

Post by Dockillemall » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:49 am

Hey Kona, Penn reels are notorious for wind knots. A lot of attention to line management is needed, keeping line tight ect. I switched from a Torque to Van Staal VR200 and wind knots no more. I think it is the reel more than the line.

learninghow
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by learninghow » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:57 pm

I have no problems with reels with long cast spools, but keeping the line tight is the key. My lack of problems may be more due to my pinching of the line between my index and middle fingers when I retrieve my lures ... it's become a habit whenever I use braids now.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:23 pm

Thank-you for the tips... Never did consider my reel could be the problem... Looks like most of us with line twist will need to update to those higher end reels..

I will be switching over to better ball bearing swivel and will consider getting a better reel to handle the heavy braided lines..

Van Staal, Stellas ..etc... Nice reels..

Aloha, sometimes the answers takes $$$$ to solve..lol

Dockillemall

Post by Dockillemall » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:21 am

No need high end reel,that was just an example. Shimano have good reputation for excellent line lay. I think the Spheros is an excellent buy for a salt water reel for less than $200.
And thanks Kona for keeping this forum alive.
Roland