pebbles thrown backside maui?

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

monstaveekz
100+ Club
100+ Club

pebbles thrown backside maui?

Post by monstaveekz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:59 pm

Anyone else get little pebbles thrown at you when fishing certain spots in Kaupo? Once fishing Lones by myself when i went to make second slide i could feel tiny rocks hitting my back while facing the ocean. Maybe three or four times and each time i looked back i see nothing. No wind or any other possible explaination but i destinctly felt the stuff hit my back (no shirt cuz was hot and not windy) and then could hear it hit the ground. Another time i was fishing sixpipes and my partner kept saying someone was throwing rocks on his tarp while we slept. Again no wind or any other explaination. Another friend said he experienced the same at another spot. Anyone else have this happen to them? It doesnt feel threatening just kolohe, like a little kid trying to get your attention.
POSITIVE ADDICTIONS

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Re: pebbles thrown backside maui?

Post by deepkona » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:45 am

Don't know where Kaupo is or what kind of terrain you got there but, do you ever actually find the pebbles that hit your back or tent after the fact...or nothing to be found.?
Do you have to cross a sacred site to get there or is there evidence of this in the area you are fishing.?

Would be creepy if you were positive that pebbles hit your back but then there were not to be found on the ground after the incident - :o

Bring ti leaves with you and make an offering if the area has sacred markings.....that's what I would do.
Mahalos,

monstaveekz
100+ Club
100+ Club

Re: pebbles thrown backside maui?

Post by monstaveekz » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:46 pm

The terrain at lone kiawe is very similar if not identical to some spots in mahukona. The sea topograpy is different because instead of reef there is mostly sand. As far as sacred markings, there are no ahu or alters at this particular spot that i know of. All of the spots from the arch to obake point are just off the side of the road. Pertaining to ti leafs, yes they are known as a good luck charm, however, i do not observe this superstition. As a kanakamaoli, i do a mele komo whenever i go mauka or makai to hunt, fish, or gather. If there is an ahu in the area, which in many places on maui there are, i will bring some kind of ho'okupu. Usually we are aware of them prior to the trip. Most spots we fish do not have an ahu because they were all just points belonging to an ahupua'a. There are many heiau in the area but mmost are mauka of the spots we fish. I have not seen night marchers but i have witnessed akualele streak across the sky mauka side of the highway.

Like i said, whatever it was it seemed more playful or kolohe like they were just letting me know they were there. Now in the case of my friend and his tarp... yes he did find pebbles because they rolled off the tarp and landed on his cot near his feet. Now, in both of our cases we are talking about tiny pebbles. Like 1/4" size. So again they would be difficult if not impossible to tell them apart from the rest of the dirt unless i saw it fall but i only heard them hit the ground after bouncing off me . At that spot there is a hale and a couple of smaller walled structures but they are not heiau. I have heard stories from other fishermen about that spot that i will share in another thread. Mahalo for reading. More tales to come!
POSITIVE ADDICTIONS