Fried Oio??

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

iStayEwaBeach
Member 25+
Member 25+

Fried Oio??

Post by iStayEwaBeach » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Got 2 oios decent sized, and I don't really like fishcake. Was wondering if can eat um fried and just spit da bones out when I feel em?

Thanks

Peesherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Fried Oio??

Post by Peesherman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:06 pm

hehe, just went make fish patties from the 8 pounder i picked up. Im full off of two patties... i have 14 left :o

Ive only heard of oio tempura. Not too sure how to pull that one off though. I baked the head part with a lup cheong, green onion, mayo, black sauce. The eyes were tasty and the cheeks were exceptional. Tossed the rest.
You took the time to search every post I made on here? Im flattered.

rstark
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by rstark » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Peesherman, why'd you toss the rest? Too mushy?
Rick
Interested in Photovoltaic systems or solar hot water sytems? Ask me, I'm a solar consultant.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:31 pm

iStayEwaBeach wrote:Got 2 oios decent sized, and I don't really like fishcake. Was wondering if can eat um fried and just spit da bones out when I feel em?

Thanks
People make Fish cakes because the OIO fried is NOT that great of fish to eat that way... YOU can tried..? ....after awhile you will know WHY..? people make fish cakes or Lomi lomi OIO... the two better ways to enjoy eating OIO's...

Lots of guys posted some excellant recipes for fish cakes and won tons...

Lomi lomi OIO... spoon the meat out, will be like a paste... add chop round oinions, chop green oinions, Hawaiian salt...mix ..chill in the refrig for a few hours..enjoy with hot RICE..! ..you can add shoyu, chili peppers...

IN the RAW...

Aloha, leave pants ON..!

Peesherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Peesherman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Rstark, ehhh, idk, wasnt really diggin it. Small kine pulehu too cause i forgot about it for a few minutes :? Id rather eat the head of an ulua, papio, table boss, etc. The meat in the skull area wasnt the best. However, any fish cheeks/collar will be tasty. Would I cook the head again? Most likely not. Id rather use it as crab bait or something.
You took the time to search every post I made on here? Im flattered.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 pm

I've talked to a few old timers who love to fry up small oio/awa w/furikake on top.

IMO...idk i wouldn't.
Rippin' lips