Opihi cook?

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Opihi cook?

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:32 am

Hello, On one club outing many years ago....couple of guys pick opihi. Next moring they want someone to cook breakfast...I ask?.. can I use the Opihi? They said go for it........ We fried the eggs with "Opihi" mix in, had rice, sauages....at first everyone thought? Huh! .....Very ONO!

We also add raw Opihi to Lomi Salmon...this really adds to the mix...."MO tasty"....if you ever get a chance to try this? ....You will mostly likely do it all the time!

We do prefer "RAW opihi....clean, hawaiian salt...refrig...eat with rice! (nothing better than eating right out of the shell at the beach).

Hawaii has three kinds of Opihi. Yellow foot, green foot, and Kewalas?(very large underwater opihis).
It takes an average of 8 months for a opihi to grow 1 1/4 inches. (will lay approw 30,000-40,000 eggs) ,2 inch ones will lay approx 60,000-80,000 eggs.

The laws need to be change for opihi's...increase the size allow to be harvest...allow NO commercial sales of opihi, limit the amount one can take per day. In Kona when there is a one year old birthday party or graduations? .....the opihi's get wipe out...off course more enforements of ALL fishing regs!

Opihi has a flavor of it own....very tasty! As the population of people grows...the source of finding opihi becomes harder to find...!

Share and collect only what you need for one meal or two....three...four...five....(oops all the opihi's are gone...forever?

Aloha , eggs cook with opihi...still a flavorite!

bait tossah
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Opihi cook?

Post by bait tossah » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:55 pm

try put'em in poke, buggah broke da mout. :D :D :D

aloha,
"jus got lucky"

island driver
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by island driver » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:22 pm

I am a bonafide "foodie"! I love to eat and will eat just about anything. I don't like Opihi. Something about it just turns me off. The taste, the texture, the look...I just don't like it. One of you can eat my share. Enjoy! 8)

sea sick
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by sea sick » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:48 am

I like mines cooked right on the grill with shoyu and tabasco sauce

red
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by red » Thu May 29, 2008 9:04 pm

when i was small, my grandmother used to put the ones with plenty limu on the shell into miso soup. ive also seem people add opihis to there warabi salad
wailoa casting club
\"jus go till blow!\"

pacificblue6
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by pacificblue6 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:15 am

My sister came back from Kauai with a ziplock bag full of Opihi. After having a hard time trying to scoop them out of their shells, I decided there must be an easier way. After searching the forum and online, I finally found something that works really well. Put a bunch of Opihi in a wire mesh spoon and quickly dip it in boiling hot water. As soon as you see the Opihi start to float out of their shells, take them out and rinse them in cold water.
The Opihi literally fall right out of their shells in perfect condition. Add some sesame seed oil, shoyu sauce and pepper. Bust out your favorite beer and enjoy.

Hee_Haw
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by Hee_Haw » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:59 pm

kona-ulua-style wrote: Share and collect only what you need for one meal.
There! Fixed it for you. :lol:

Molokai is one of the few places (that I know of) where you can go to almost any beach on the east or west end, and with an opihi knife (or if you get talent, just your bare hand), knock a half-dozen opihi of good eat size (over silver dollar size), and go home and grind.

It's probably because a good number of those who live here only take what they're going to eat for that day. Opihi don't grow in a freezer, as they say. We don't overdo (me and my wife, my kids no eat opihi), just a dozen or so for both of us when we go beach, then we take 'em home and pulehu with mayo and shoyu mix right on top. Heat um until the mayo gets kind of browned, then drop that sucker down the hatch! Yum!

Now I'm hungry for opihi.
Fishing is 1 percent catching fish, and 99 percent making great memories.

EAT ALL YOU CATCH... LET 'EM GO OTHERWISE. Fish don't grow in a freezer.

limu
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by limu » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:53 pm

sea sick wrote:I like mines cooked right on the grill with shoyu and tabasco sauce
i agree with sea sick, the small opihis good raw but the biggers ones, best on hibachi, chilli pepper water and lemon. :P

like4pokesquid
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by like4pokesquid » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:07 pm

nowadays hard for find the big ones, I heard that the big island hardly get the ones the size of silver dollars even the bigger ones that you gotta dive for um like abolone.
"not enough time in the day"
"fish heads, fish heads, rolley polley fish head, fish heads, fish heads, eat um up yum"

Ciguatera
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Ciguatera » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:50 pm

I see some relentless guys pound the same spot over and over and over. I know he sells it too. Unfortunately he is a nice guy so I can't rag on him but now my kids won't be able to enjoy the delicacy in the near future. I went back to check the spots and all get left is... bare rock and Ha'uke'uke. Oh well. :(

Pupule
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pupule » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:30 pm

One of the guys in our office joins a bunch of hikers on a camping trip to Halape each year. He told us about two guys in a small Whaler who hauled three 5-gallon buckets of opihi out of there last week. :o

Ciguatera
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Ciguatera » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:12 pm

Ouch... I was over there the entire week and no whalers launched from Punalu'u. Must have come from Pohoiki. It was nice for 5 days so I wouldn't doubt it. I made it up only to Stone in the water... or about 45 to an hour trolling away from Halape.

rkubes
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by rkubes » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:32 pm

Pupule Kane wrote:One of the guys in our office joins a bunch of hikers on a camping trip to Halape each year. He told us about two guys in a small Whaler who hauled three 5-gallon buckets of opihi out of there last week. :o
yah had one guy come into the store I work last week selling gallon bags unshelled for $30 bucks a pop. den another guy came that same week selling more gallon bag fulls at $25 bucks each, Damn scrap'in um uh?!?!?!?
-- You should be Poundin' not reading this thread --

red
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by red » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:42 pm

sorry, not to deviate from the conservation thing (very important topic!), but the big ko'ele are great if you just shell em, clean em, and slice em like sashimi! some chili pepper and shoyu, bugga ono! back to conservation. i think that these really need to be conserved. they are not found everywhere and i'm sure it takes a really long time for them to get to that large size. just take a few, no need to harvest em all.
wailoa casting club
\"jus go till blow!\"

natrolures
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by natrolures » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:30 pm

I agree with the koele sashimi...Dats one pupu hard to beat...I've had chili pepper water with some "gravy" from cleaned opihi's put inside and cheehooo that was some ono too......