Green Mango

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Pupule
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Green Mango

Post by Pupule » Thu May 08, 2008 7:39 pm

This isn't necessarily fish related, but if anyone knows how to use green mango when cooking fish, I'm all ears. ;)

This year, my mango tree (and many other mango trees I've seen around Oahu) exploded in flowers during the winter. During the more windy days in March, April and May, lots of green mangoes end up falling off the tree, and with so many fruit this year, there's more green mango falling off the tree than ever.

Aside from pickling it or slicing it up and dipping it into a shoyu-sugar sauce, are there other ways to prepare green mango or to use it in combination with other ingredients to make stews or soups?

Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Green Mango

Post by Bolo I'a » Wed May 21, 2008 3:51 pm

put them in a crate and let it sit outside overnight. this will prime the mango.
then give me your address so i can pick em up :D
LUCK is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY
<*)))><

Pupule
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pupule » Wed May 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Heheh...;)

I ended up making a pot of soup using the green mango. Ingredients were: frozen chicken gizzards and hearts from a local foods store, chopped up pork butt, diced green mango, diced tomatos, diced onions, diced carrots, chopped button mushrooms, chopped celery, minced garlic and ginger, pepper corns, Thai basil, Hawaiian salt, patis, and a bit of corn starch. Was ono!

eyym
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by eyym » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:50 pm

make mango pickle?

I have an old recipe [mom's] that calls for canning jars and sterilizing the jars. I haven't made any in a long time, because I haven't had any green mango to make some, and only one person eats it in this house -- me! the other people in my house are not interested, or eat the green ones with shoyu/vinegar/black pepper...

dunno if it would be any good with fish, but at my house, it makes a good pickle with whatever sandwich I happen to be eating...

MrBiggz

Post by MrBiggz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:27 am

I don't know any fish mangos dishes but....... I do know laotian style mango dipping sauce

roasted rice (blended into coarse powder)
fish sauce
thai chillis chopped
sugar

mix and serve