Smelt fish

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Smelt fish

Post by kt » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:04 am

Hello everyone,

I bought some deep fried smelt from a filipino restraurant downtown....Hooo...super ono.

I went to Sams club and saw the frozen bag of smelt and want to try cook em.

Do you have to clean out the guts of the fish or just cook em and eat em whole?

What kind of flavoring do they use in the flour seasoning...is it just salt and pepper? Do they use egg wash before coating the fish or just flour it and fry?

The bugga is excellent with rice or simply as a PUPU (with the green bottles) :mrgreen:

limu
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Smelt fish

Post by limu » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:25 am

we used to buy'm from the filipino restaurant too but my brother in law started making his own. he buy the ones from Tamuras, more better, get eggs, no need clean. the only thing with this recipe is it doesn't stay crispy like the restaurant's. their's can keep for days in the fridge and still stay crispy, must be the powder they use.

season fish with salt and cover with cornstarch.
deep fry till lightly brown.
sauce: vinegar, salt and black pepper and garlic. i add chilli pepper water to kick it up a notch.

i can sit in front of the tv and eat a whole bowl.

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kt » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:02 am

Thanks for the replies and pm's. I definately going try.

I hear that some people say yes, got to clean em and some say no need to clean em.

I am trying to think...do people clean the oama's and halaluu? or do they just deep fry em and eat everything?

Just wondering.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:12 am

kt wrote:
I hear that some people say yes, got to clean em and some say no need to clean em.
it's like Guys say no need clean Kala just pop em on the grill guts & all......I like to clean mine for the hell of it though, i guess it's just personal preference?
Rippin' lips

red
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by red » Mon May 04, 2009 5:52 pm

i cannot remember where i seen em but i've seen em frozen and breaded already. just gotta cook
wailoa casting club
\"jus go till blow!\"

eyym
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by eyym » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:03 pm

kt wrote:Thanks for the replies and pm's. I definately going try.

I am trying to think...do people clean the oama's and halaluu? or do they just deep fry em and eat everything?

Just wondering.

I clean, because I figure that I don't want to eat their poop. Yes, I know it takes a long time to clean.. . then, I season with lots of garlic salt, then cover roll in seasoned flour [flower, salt, pepper and old bay seasoning] dumped into a big baggie... fry in lots of oil crispy. great for pupu

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:30 am

eyym wrote:
kt wrote:Thanks for the replies and pm's. I definately going try.

Just wondering.

I clean, because I figure that I don't want to eat their poop.
Oama your eating Crap/brains n all 8) .

For Oama does anyone actually cut the head off & clean everything? :o All i do is scale/season/flour.
Rippin' lips

eyym
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by eyym » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:44 pm

i would clean oama... scale too -- the same way I used to clean scale "born yesterday" aholehole, when catching that size was still legal...

fry them crispy... then you can eat head, tail and all!

I do admit, though, it was very tedious work... it took longer to clean and gut and scale than to season, fry and eat, it seems... on occasion, when there was a lot to clean/scale, I'd cut the head off - so the gills and guts would come out altogether...

my MIL would dip her smelt in tempura batter... and it was a less expensive alternative to shrimp tempura... and nobody missed the shrimp!

RAGE2ONE
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by RAGE2ONE » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:28 am

anyone herd of using smelts for bait in salt water fishing??
. . _
PU'ULU PIO POU

huntedulua
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by huntedulua » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:53 am

i tried using the frozen ones once for the heck of it but the buggah's so soft that they just fly off the hook when you cast'em.you're more less gonna palu the water instead of fishing wit'em.
i think better to eat em :mrgreen:

RAGE2ONE
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by RAGE2ONE » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:20 am

huntedulua wrote:i tried using the frozen ones once for the heck of it but the buggah's so soft that they just fly off the hook when you cast'em.you're more less gonna palu the water instead of fishing wit'em.
rAgah dat!.....lol.....i figure it was the cheap mans oama....but no can...lol
Last edited by RAGE2ONE on Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:32 pm

RAGE2ONE wrote:
huntedulua wrote:i tried using the frozen ones once for the heck of it but the buggah's so soft that they just fly off the hook when you cast'em.you're more less gonna palu the water instead of fishing wit'em.
rogah dat!.....lol.....i figure it was the cheap mans oama....but no can...lol
:lol: I tried um once cause never had anchovies for baiting......never goin try again, all fell off the hook before they touched the water.
Rippin' lips

RAGE2ONE
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by RAGE2ONE » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:24 am

Radon Boats wrote:
RAGE2ONE wrote:
rogah dat!.....lol.....i figure it was the cheap mans oama....but no can...lol
:lol: I tried um once cause never had anchovies for baiting......never goin try again, all fell off the hook before they touched the water.
i lost alot that way too....lol....but i found out i can lob them to stay on the hook but still no bites....stick to oamas!...lol
. . _
PU'ULU PIO POU

huntedulua
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by huntedulua » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:40 pm

yeah, i think stick to oamas casting and stick to smelts eating :lol: .
i guess we've all tried something different once when we get desperate on catching. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

RAGE2ONE
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by RAGE2ONE » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:12 pm

huntedulua wrote:yeah, i think stick to oamas casting and stick to smelts eating :lol: .
i guess we've all tried something different once when we get desperate on catching. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
I DEFINETLY AGREE!!
. . _
PU'ULU PIO POU