matter of taste

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

808kutb8
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

matter of taste

Post by 808kutb8 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:41 am

I am not a fish eater but some people say they can taste the difference from a fish caught at one location and the same species of fish caught in another. For example, they would not eat halalu from waianae because of the taste but they would eat the halalu from hale'iwa. Or they would not eat a moi from a harbor because they have a "muddy" taste. I usually throw back the ones I catch near brackish water or once in awhile I will give it away. I think I can tell the difference between the farmed moi and the wild moi. I do not care for the farmed moi, even though they have a higher fat content. What do you guys think?

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: matter of taste

Post by Brian F. » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:37 pm

I've heard the same but don't eat enough to be able to tell a difference, area wise. I agree about wild/farmed moi. I wonder if there's a difference with pond raised vs. cage raised? Maybe more related to feed than environment.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

limu
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by limu » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:45 pm

I wouldn't eat fish caught in pearl harbor or Samoan crabs that's caught off the waters that leads to pearl harbor. Reason being is that I was at aiea bay park (next to mcgrew point) a while back and I was poking around a stick in to the mud/silt and guess what came oozing out of it, floated to the suface and covered the water's surface? Oil slick, was gross. :o

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:19 pm

I don't eat any harbor fish/crab period :? . But i believe in a blind taste test "some", could taste the difference in farmed and wild fish.
Rippin' lips

island driver
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by island driver » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:52 pm

I know what you're talking about regarding the taste of waianae hahalu. Not all of them have this taste, but it's a strong iodine or metal taste. It's so strong that you can smell it when you catch the fish and removing the hook from the mouth!!!
If you miss it then, when you cook em, you will certainly taste it in your first bite! 8)

boogz
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by boogz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:25 pm

I have noticed this with fish like kala and palani. ewa beach/ barber's point kine get way more limu taste than those caught north shore side... I can also a difference in goatfish between goatfish species. For me, I would rank them like this. 1. Joe's (munu) 2. Kumu 3. Moana Kali's 4. tie between Weke and Moana's (moano)

Can you guys out the tell the difference in taste between Papio/Ulua species?

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:39 pm

boogz wrote: Can you guys out the tell the difference in taste between Papio/Ulua species?
I think i could tell the taste between Omilu & White.

I think Moana has a stronger taste compared to Weke. I'd prefer Weke, over Moana never really liked it.
Rippin' lips

red
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by red » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:26 pm

palani and nenue from hilo bay dont have asa strong a limu taste as from some other places and the wailoa river ones are super fatty. the wailoa river mullet have a muddy taste compared to those for hilo bay and else where. the mullet from hilo bay are more slimey than wailoa river, waiakea fish pond mullet. omilu meat is more mushy/rubbery than white papio when you cook em...
wailoa casting club
\"jus go till blow!\"

bumboocha
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by bumboocha » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:19 pm

Mois can definetly taste difference. The farm one no more taste and the meat not as firm. Too bland the farm mois IMO and some i tried had weird aftertaste. Moi taste is mild to begin with so when they get fed "feed", whatever taste that is there gets dissipated i think.

Red- you may wanna re-consider eating mullet from Wailoa. My friend did a study for UH Science lab and they tested all kinds of things to read bacteria levels. Wailoa water bacteria levels was 100x the limit for legally polluted water! :o there was E.Coli among other stuff that was extremely high in ppm.
chaddaaaaap!!

red
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by red » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 am

Red- you may wanna re-consider eating mullet from Wailoa. My friend did a study for UH Science lab and they tested all kinds of things to read bacteria levels. Wailoa water bacteria levels was 100x the limit for legally polluted water! :o there was E.Coli among other stuff that was extremely high in ppm.
hahaha, nah, that's how. the water in keaukaha and kapoho is also loaded with e. coli. thats why the fish ono... kinda gross when you think about it. all that shoreline/near shoreline development with cesspools and sewers that leach into the water :(
wailoa casting club
\"jus go till blow!\"