Opelu recipes?

Post by Watchostatis » Sun May 02, 2010 10:51 am

What's some good recipes? Thank you

Pupule
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Opelu recipes?

Post by Pupule » Mon May 03, 2010 6:52 pm

I just fry them in peanut oil and add shoyu, chopped green onion and cilantro. Just the basics...nothing fancy.

I've somehow aquired a bad habit of throwing them back into the water with a cirlce hook through the nose. Heh, I can't seem to stop doing that! LOL!

BI_Style_49
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by BI_Style_49 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:17 am

A few months ago I had tried some opelu poke at a party and it was winners! It was all the back halves of opelu cut into chunks and dorsal and ventral fins/bones removed as well as the tail. The heads were used to make dried opelu. I'm not really sure exactly what was in the poke it but it had ginger, green onions, and shoyu for sure and the rest is a mystery... It also was on the sweeter side.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed May 05, 2010 4:55 am

Hello, Another way to eat "opelu"? ..My Aunty call it "Palu Poke" ...cut up the raw opelu and all the pieces...make into poke (your style)

Aloha,

red
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by red » Fri May 07, 2010 7:00 pm

butterfly like you gonna dry em. put some hawaiian salt, a pinch of inamona and a couple strands of limu kohu. fold em back togeather and put in the cooler or fridge for a while. chop em up and crack em just like that with your favorite cold beverage. can throw a chili pepper in too if you like some heat
wailoa casting club
\"jus go till blow!\"

WAIEHU
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by WAIEHU » Wed May 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Ho bah.. opelu poke is up n up wit aku poke... to me anywayz.

I make opelu the same way I make uoa'uoas. Fillet um off the bone hemo the skin and center bones/blood. Chunk um in small pieces. Gotta put paakai salt for the taste! A good amount of inamona, kohu, onion, and chili pepper water. Put some cracked ice and mix um so it gets kinda lomi action. My mouth stay watering alrdy! Try um bugga is mean! Learned dis from my molokai family.

Shootz

Pupule
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pupule » Fri May 14, 2010 5:41 pm

WAIEHU wrote:Ho bah.. opelu poke is up n up wit aku poke... to me anywayz.

I make opelu the same way I make uoa'uoas.
Maybe I've been missing something all this time. Uoa'uoa poke? Sounds interesting. I've never given much thought to eating any kind of mullet raw. I normally bake 'em.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:13 pm

HEEHUNTER1987 wrote:I know when my uncle/cousins sell Uoa'uoa to the Micronesians they scale um with there fingernails and eat um raw right there on the spot. They said its grinds!
When we selling fish & we get Palani's afta one dive the Tongans pull over & fillet em right on the spot off the bone with a kitchen knife lol...then they crack one lime over em & sprinkle some hawaiian salt...pound em straight up guts & all :o . Nasty :? but i guess it's their culture
Rippin' lips

WAIEHU
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by WAIEHU » Thu May 20, 2010 7:25 am

Pupule wrote:

Maybe I've been missing something all this time. Uoa'uoa poke? Sounds interesting. I've never given much thought to eating any kind of mullet raw. I normally bake 'em.

Try um. Take kinda long to prep but its worth it. Get choke bones gtta hemo. Get one mean limu taste in the meat.. some ppl don't like it cuz stink.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:39 pm

WAIEHU wrote:
Pupule wrote:

Try um. Take kinda long to prep but its worth it. Get choke bones gtta hemo. Get one mean limu taste in the meat.. some ppl don't like it cuz stink.
Taste pretty good. Cut into small pieces with bones & all. Mixed with super fine inamona like a paste almost & a little hawaiian salt over um.
Rippin' lips