MRE's

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

hayn_fisherman_808
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

MRE's

Post by hayn_fisherman_808 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:26 pm

does anyone out there go on fishing trips and pack those?
how is it? is it worth it? quality of taste?

jus curious...das all neva tried one but was always curious...
PU'ULU PIO POU

Purplexity
Member 25+
Member 25+

Re: MRE's

Post by Purplexity » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 pm

Its basically Lunchables on steroids and is designed to give your body the basic vitamins needed to survive. In other words they taste like crap, Your better of with one can corned beef and some rice. :)
Malama I Ke Kai
Aloha G.GInes

shorecaster96744
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by shorecaster96744 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:13 pm

Meals Rejected by Ethiopians. Some of the entrees are okay, beef stew looses its taste after about 2 or 3 bites, some of the vegetarian meals are good, just about all of the pound cakes are good. Stay away from the potatoes au gratin, peanut butter and the non dairy creamer are both flamable. True story starving coyote wouldn't even go near the ham slice that I tossed to it, gave me a what the hell look like I was trying to poison it. Literally starving you could see its rib cage. Stick with the store bought stuff. If you're going on a distance fishing trip one good way to save a little bit of weight, pick-up capri-sun sport packs when they go on sale, throw them in the freezer, you can keep bait and food chilled and still have something drinkable that doesn't get stinky, plus the electrolytes in the drink will help with dehydration, and packing out a thin foil pack is better than a bunch of empty water bottles or a couple of big empty plastic bottles.

AhiBelly
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by AhiBelly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:09 am

it's okay imo, but for 1-2 day trips, not worth it unless you trying to pack super light... be careful though, goin have stuck da kine for awhile :lol:
"The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be."

— John Gierach

hayn_fisherman_808
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by hayn_fisherman_808 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:42 am

AhiBelly wrote:it's okay imo, but for 1-2 day trips, not worth it unless you trying to pack super light... be careful though, goin have stuck da kine for awhile :lol:
i jus gotta try once...haha.lol
i think tuna sandwiches or pb&j is good..lol 7/11 has okay foods..,.
PU'ULU PIO POU

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:22 pm

hayn_fisherman_808 wrote:does anyone out there go on fishing trips and pack those?
how is it? is it worth it? quality of taste?

jus curious...das all neva tried one but was always curious...
Hello, We think they are "OK"...With the heater packs... There are several companies that makes MRE's ...You will want the Genuine.. Army MRE's...Usually about $45-$65 per case..the real Military MRE's..NOT the civilian versions..these are the ones that "do not taste as good"...

Please becarefully when ordering and make sure it is real Army MRE's..? ...Make sure they come with the ""heater packs" ....it gets real hot too!
Spam musubi is better! ..or any Bentos...
My friends who does alot of hiking in the Mainland...will tell you the Army MRE"S w/ heater packs. are the best tasting of all the Mres out there...Just that they are also the heavist to carry around...

NOT worth it unless you are hiker? ...better stuffs can be found in can stews, can spaghetti, can chili's,vienna sauages,etc..at the supermarkets...

This is our thoughts are this....Aloha

Pupule
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pupule » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:16 pm

I can wolf down just about anything when I'm really hungry. MREs are certainly not at the bottom of the heap when it comes to convenience foods while fishing. I've done a lot worse! :lol:

Civilian MREs have improved considerably over the past few years, so they're closer in quality to military MREs these days.

(But I do like the military ones best.)

sincitychains
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by sincitychains » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm not a super picky eater so maybe my review isn't the best but here is what I have to say...

some MRE meals are excellent (for what they are). I play airsoft and we have a major focus on military simulation. Many of our games/ops will last 10-12 hours with mission after mission without an official "break" for lunch or whatever. Like our true soldiers, MREs are a staple of the game, lightweight, compact, and they have a lot of variety. Expect to pay between 6 and 10 bucks for one complete meal. Usually includes beverage powder (w. electrolytes that you mix with water), some basic flavoring components like salt, pepper, tabasco, two or three smaller snack type foods, wheat bread, peanut butter, jelly, potato sticks, choco banana muffin top (my fav), brownie, etc...and then one or two main course type foods like bbq beef, a pasta-type ravioli, etc etc. There are TONS of different menus for these things. They are good to order online for survival food (in case of killa waves or hurricanes) and also for activities such as fishing, camping, etc.

if you can get over the whole "i have to have good grindz all the time" these MREs are great! Just try different ones and figure out what kind you like. Some military supply stores also sell the individual components of MREs separately. That way you don't pay a buncha $$ for something you realllly know you know won't like but maybe one part of the MRE that sounds good?

I think everyone should have at least 20-30 MREs per person stashed away at home in case of emergency. But that is just me and I'm a bit of a survivalist.
Opportunities are often disguised by hard work. That is why so many people fail to recognize them. -Anonymous