anybody get local recipes?mahalos.
CONSERVE WATER.......DRINK BEER!

eyym
Member 50+
Member 50+

Re: pickled onion

Post by eyym » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:46 am

which kind?

if you are making it namasu style, just make sure you slice vertical, not circles... and it holds up better. Use your favorite namasu recipe, and add the onions in with whatever else you like in your namasu. I happen to like red radishes and cucumber -- the red radishes do bleed, and you have pink namasu. but no worries, taste is good!

if you are talking about portugese style pickle onion, you cut the onion into wedges, then heat up white vinegar, hawaiian salt, chili pepper, water until it dissolves [or boils, if you canning and want it to keep awhile]. pack onions into sterilized jars - right out of the hot dishwasher works - pour cooled vinegar water to cover, cap and seal. let stand overnight and then refrigerate. The vinegar and water ratio is equal, and the hawaiian salt i gotta think about - couple handfuls... I haven't measured in way too long. Make small batches of liquid -- you can always make more, but if you make too much, you just wasted it -- it doesn't keep very well...

Last time I made onions that way, I cheated and used some chili pepper packets that were left over from the last pizza run that weren't used. worked fine for me... didn't have to worry about burning up my hands, nose, etc.