Re: Disturbing

Post by stinktako » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:25 pm

this is probably way more trouble than one wants to go thru tho :|

fishyfishy
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by fishyfishy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:06 pm

uluakane wrote:Yesterday I went to Malaekahana to fish, what do I see, a laynet 30 yards from shore almost all the way to the island. Another net to the left and right the nets must of been 500 yards or longer. A park worker was watching this too, he said the have been doing this for 3 or 4 weeks Tuesdays, Wed., Thurs. They also lay nets to the left and right boundries of the park. So in total they had 5 super long nets in the water.They called DlNR but nothing. They leave the net overnite. They use 2 14 foot Livingston flat bottom boats with motors to lay and pick up the net. Remember how Kuhuku golf course was like 15 years ago choke oios and papios occassional uluas. Now nothing, a old timer said that lay netters caught 5000-7000 pounds of oios and papios a bunch of times and the fish never returned to this day.
spoke with on DOCARE officer on Oahu...he said he personally checked the logs...no complaint was registered from this area...also he said..

"I/we take these complaints very seriously. In the past week we (Marine Unit) removed about 1,700 feet of net in Kaneohe Bay (fronting Waiahole). This tip came from a recreational fisherman. In many cases fishermen see these violations and tell everyone except DLNR. For future references the complainant should report the violation and request a report number that way he or she, can follow up on what was done. "

Never depend on someone else calling DOCARE...if you are one to go to the beach often, their number should be on your cell phone. 8)
"No Resource, No Fisherman"
A post by Darrell Tanaka

AhiBelly
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by AhiBelly » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:17 pm

fishyfishy wrote:
uluakane wrote:Yesterday I went to Malaekahana to fish, what do I see, a laynet 30 yards from shore almost all the way to the island. Another net to the left and right the nets must of been 500 yards or longer. A park worker was watching this too, he said the have been doing this for 3 or 4 weeks Tuesdays, Wed., Thurs. They also lay nets to the left and right boundries of the park. So in total they had 5 super long nets in the water.They called DlNR but nothing. They leave the net overnite. They use 2 14 foot Livingston flat bottom boats with motors to lay and pick up the net. Remember how Kuhuku golf course was like 15 years ago choke oios and papios occassional uluas. Now nothing, a old timer said that lay netters caught 5000-7000 pounds of oios and papios a bunch of times and the fish never returned to this day.
spoke with on DOCARE officer on Oahu...he said he personally checked the logs...no complaint was registered from this area...also he said..

"I/we take these complaints very seriously. In the past week we (Marine Unit) removed about 1,700 feet of net in Kaneohe Bay (fronting Waiahole). This tip came from a recreational fisherman. In many cases fishermen see these violations and tell everyone except DLNR. For future references the complainant should report the violation and request a report number that way he or she, can follow up on what was done. "

Never depend on someone else calling DOCARE...if you are one to go to the beach often, their number should be on your cell phone. 8)
well done fishy!
"The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be."

— John Gierach

ulua2002
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by ulua2002 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:16 pm

aloha brian, i understand where you are coming from, but i would like to add the ineffiency of our DLNR paid for with our hard earned tax dollars. several years ago oama was plentiful at punaluu beach park, so much so that every man and woman lining up the shoreline with long fish bags filled at the least a third full. i witnessed someone emptying the catch and returning to catch more. the bag limit is 50. not hundreds. i emailed and called the office but no action was taken. i went back the end of the week and realized the school was completely depleted minus a few strays. someone also brought to my attention that DLNR officers are close to families in that area. i just have no confidence in our state system. maybe its the economy or our tax budget, whatever the case, they are not doing their job period.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:56 pm

ulua2002 wrote: someone also brought to my attention that DLNR officers are close to families in that area.
Uhh no...not at all.

Maybe one guy (officer) in paticular is cool with some of them down here but everyone else is nowhere near close. It's more of a stink eye situation when DLNR drive by guys they know r doing illegal stuff.
Rippin' lips

fishyfishy
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by fishyfishy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:19 pm

ulua2002 wrote: i just have no confidence in our state system. maybe its the economy or our tax budget, whatever the case, they are not doing their job period.
and as a fisherman, are you doing your job?? not being sarcastic or nothin, but literal....as fishermen we care about the ocean, do we all do our job in lobbying for more enforcement or do we just sit back and point fingers and wait for someone else to do the job....the job of convincing our state leaders that more protection is needed.

some say DOCARE not doing their job, others might say, there are not enuff of them to do every "job" that comes about.
A post by Darrell Tanaka

ulua2002
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by ulua2002 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

I am not just complaining, but trying to be proactive. Why don't DLNR return my emails when sent? I have emailed their office numerous times with no response. I enjoy fishing on the weekends with family and friends, but too often do I witness violations. What other recourse do we have when this falls on deaf ears. I do my part, BUT.

fishyfishy
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by fishyfishy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:53 am

ulua2002 wrote:I am not just complaining, but trying to be proactive. Why don't DLNR return my emails when sent? I have emailed their office numerous times with no response. I enjoy fishing on the weekends with family and friends, but too often do I witness violations. What other recourse do we have when this falls on deaf ears. I do my part, BUT.
who exactly are you sending your e-mails to??
A post by Darrell Tanaka

Oahutaco
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Oahutaco » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:42 pm

Went camping there this weekend and saw this family wheelbarrow a crap load of nets when it was pitch dark, was pretty crowded with campers so they blended in, u couldn't tell what they was about to do unless u paid attention to them.. My friends and I said no way they going lay nets now, we fishishing!! But they fk'n still did! We confronted them and said it was illegal what they were doing but told us mind our business if we now what's good for us. OH YEAH GAME ON!!! One of my friends said Don't make threats cuz only going be worst later.. But still they kept doing what they wanted... I told'um look I can see the nets are illegal so no put'um in the water right where we fishing, cuz when u leave I going drag'um up on the sand.. Again they started to threaten us, so I tried calling DLNR but only message.. No going do me any good so called some friends down for take care the problem.. So we let them lay the nets till my other friends showed up then again confronted them, seeing we wasn't fk'n kidding about this and how huge some of my friends was they brought in the nets cussing the whole time and they never came back the whole time we was ther camping. Talked to the grounds keeper in the morning about what had happened, he said yeah they there all the time! And when he call DLNR they no show up. And he also said the police no do nothing cuz they not educated enough about this.. Maybe we had handle this wrong, but I think the people breaking the law know nobody going come that's why they keep doing it and no care!!! I say fk that!!!!!! I care!!!!! So we stepped up!!! And made them leave..

Oahutaco
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Oahutaco » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:55 pm

What was unreal was one of them was in his late 50s and this one guy kept calling him "DAD".. Cmon pops, you teaching them wrong :roll:
They gotta learn "CATCH TO EAT, NOT CATCH TO DEPLETE"

fishyfishy
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by fishyfishy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Oahutaco, you did good brah, plenty guys would've just lett'um get away with it...I don't condone violence, but....I do believe in standing up for our resources..

Next time, don't hesitate to call 911, once they threaten you, you got them by the balls...never mind the stupid net, press charges against them for terroristic threatening.....which is why when you confront people like this, you must do so in a professional, calm manner, don't make any threats of your own...telling them you going to pull out their illegal nets onto the beach is perfectly fine......but....

keep in mind the rules and know them well, technically they not doing anything wrong until they actually set their nets in a lay net fashion...it is not illegal for them to have unregistered nets as one can claim they are using them for surrounding, which is legal..but even if they set their nets in a circle, the net must be tended to....(there is an exception for akule I believe)....once the net is left unnattended (and is unregistered) or set 1/2 hour after sunset, they are fair game....before removing such nets, I would call DLNR and atleast leave a message about what you are about to do, that way, if an officer stumbles across you while you are removing the net, he can't assume its your net...in other words, cover your azz when you do things like this.

Its not easy defending our reefs...and the way we been doing it up until now is obviously not good enough...even I have personally adopted tactics that are more aggressive than simply making a phone call...just gotta be smarter and wiser than these poachers, use the law to your favor.
A post by Darrell Tanaka

LightTackle
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by LightTackle » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:18 pm

Oahutaco wrote:I think the people breaking the law know nobody going come that's why they keep doing it and no care!!!
Oahutaco,

I definately agree with you. If they know they can regularly get away with laynetting at night (which is entirely illegal) then they're going to continue doing so. I'm glad you and your guys care enough about our resource to step in and do something about it. I really enjoy camping and fishing at malaekahana and I'm glad you guys helped to protect that area.

-LightTackle
Tackle light, better fight.

By releasing a fish today, you increase your odds of catching a fish tomorrow.