Trespassing & Illegal lay net

If you see a violation, call DLNR at 643-DLNR (643-3567) & then report it here

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

brokebuddy

Trespassing & Illegal lay net

Post by brokebuddy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:47 am

Not sure where the gill netting is allowed, but a man with a small boat was trespassing into Koko Marina and laying a net on the marina side of the bridge by Maunalua Bay Beach Park ~8:30pm 8/15/08. I'm accusing him of trespassing because because he entered the marina without any lights on and very fast where it created a lot of wake. He also exited the marina in the same fashion, no lights and very fast. I did not have my cell on me, will report next time I see the same boat and person.

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Trespassing & Illegal lay net

Post by Brian F. » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 pm

Lay gillnets are banned from Portlock to Pearl Harbor. In addition, although the Hawaii Kai Marina is private property, DOCARE does respond to complaints regarding fishing regulations (ie. catching mullet out of season, etc.). As you pointed out, the person would have been trespassing if he was not a resident of the marina and, he would not be allowed to use a gillnet as the Marina association rules do not allow gillnets. If you see someone laying a net on the mauka side of any of the bridges along Kalanianaole Hwy, call and report it also to the Hawaii Kai Marina Business Office at 396-2469. You should report it anyway to alert DOCARE so they can keep an eye out now and respond quicker to future calls.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

AhiBelly
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by AhiBelly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:42 am

hey brian, isn't it illegal to lay net at night also? brokebuddy mentioned it happened around 830pm... i think that's another thing to keep in mind if we see people laying net at night, we might think it's in a place where lay nets are allowed but shouldn't be done during the night... i just witnessed guys laying net night time this past weekend at pray for sex beach, unfortunately my cel doesn't catch down that side. i called docare and gave them the heads up the next morning when i reached makaha's and was able to use my cel... they picked up their net just before the sun came up to get it out of the water before anybody noticed.
"The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be."

— John Gierach

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:04 pm

AhiBelly wrote:hey brian, isn't it illegal to lay net at night also?
Yup, even in places where it's legal to use a lay gillnet.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)