Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Undersized Moi

Post by Brian F. » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:04 pm

A friend of mine asked me to post this for him:

"Hey Brian,

What is the procedure for the DLNR to investigate a call in for someone violating the laws? I called once for a laynet I found while diving waikiki last year. At that tme, the person who answered asked for all the contact info from me, exactly where the net was and what the discriptions of anyone around that area looked like. They responded within 20 minutes and the officer called me to ask exactly what the person was wearing. It seemed that they really wanted to catch the offender. After the officer found the net (no one fessed up that it was their's) he called me back and let me know everything that happened.

This past weekend, I was fishing at my favorite moi spot and there was 5 guys that was hooking 4 inch mois like crazy. I informed them that it was illegal to keep those but they kept them anyways. I decided to turn them in to DLNR. The person who answered seemed like he could care less. Didnt ask for my contact info, didnt ask for any discription of the people and never followed up with me to know what was going on. I called 2 hours after the initial call (they were continueing to fish next to us) and the same person just said that the officer was at Diamond Head and was trying to get there. I told them that the guys would be there a while and they could catch the people at the parking lot but no one ever came.

Just when I thought the DLNR was getting better to enforce some of the laws, they seem to be slacking again."

I told my friend it sounded like he took the right steps: advising the people, calling, following up, waiting. Too bad - very disappointing to hear.

In addition to my friends positive response to his net report, he has another friend who had a similar experience and so did I, all occuring last year. My opinion is that the officers responded to the net reports so quickly and throughly because they can't afford not to. I'm sure there are some groups of people breathing down DLNR's necks about enforcing the new net regulations. Now with things like Makai Watch and "partnering", there are all kinds of non-fishermen making reports too. They have to respond to all the net calls because if they don’t, they’ll get railed for it by people they don’t want to upset, like the big organizations that paid all that money to push for the net regulation changes. There was some BIG bucks spent on the campaign by all kinds of people and they want results - they do not want to hear about failures of the new regs due to the department’s end. In the case of my report last year, the officer was super polite when he called me back and even went so far as to say “Thank you for taking time to call and to be involved”. I was really caught off guard by that response but never thought about it till today after writing this up. It sounded so much like a script – like they were told to say that - and very uncharacteristic of past responses. The ironic thing is that with more non-fishermen making reports and with their ability to recognize an infraction even less than fishermen, DOCARE seems like it would go on more wild goose chases.

As for other types or reports, it's the same situation - too little to cover too much. They have to decide what the percentages are that they will make a case. If you can’t make it super easy for them like get car descriptions and license plate numbers, they see it as a very low chance that they will be able to positively ID someone, question or much less, prosecute. Too bad all calls can't get the same response.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)