?Question?

If you see a violation, call DLNR at 643-DLNR (643-3567) & then report it here

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

?Question?

Post by 44808 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:09 am

I just heard recently you get $ for calling in violations like surround netters. But DLNR doesn't give you money until they are charged?

Reason for bringing this up is some friends were recently surrounding and people were trying to rat them out but they were done already & all was legal before DLNR showed up.
Rippin' lips

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: ?Question?

Post by Brian F. » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:09 am

Actually, the printed regulations include a statement at the very end that does indicate a reward for reporting violations but could not seem to find it in the online version. I'm sure it's not something very common because the report has to result in a conviction and, well,.....you get the idea.

Surround netting is not illegal itself but fishermen can be cited for 1. saying they are surround netting but actually using it as a lay net (ie. leaving it unattended) 2. using illegal gear (mesh below minimum size) and 3. catching fish out of season, undersized fish, etc. People who don't know the regs or differences in how nets are used often assume anytime the see a net, it's illegal. The reason surround netting was not included with lay net regulations and bans is because that technique targets specific types of fish to be selective. Of course, that's if used traditionally and properly but there are always knuckleheads that will do otherwise, just like speeding down the road.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: ?Question?

Post by 44808 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:26 am

Brian F. wrote: People who don't know the regs or differences in how nets are used often assume anytime the see a net, it's illegal.

You're right get plenty guys like this.
Rippin' lips