Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

If you see a violation, call DLNR at 643-DLNR (643-3567) & then report it here

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Post Reply
User avatar
Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 1956
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Oahu

Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by Bolo I'a » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:27 am

called DOCARE over the weekend to report a group of 6 non-locals making a bonfire & setting up tents at around 10:30pm on Saturday. i called in as they were unloading pallets and camping gear from the truck. i figure that by the time DLNR comes the fire should be blazing. sure enough, they get the fire going and i wait...and wait...and wait...call back DOnotCARE...and wait...and wait. they kept the fire going all night until i left at 9:00am. it would've been easy picking for DLNR but no one showed. i even left my number but no one called back. the truck was a full size dark gray GMC 4x4 single cab with out-of-state tags. on the left side of the back window was a white G. Loomis fish bones sticker.

DLNR gets on the fishermen's okole about every little thing but they're nowhere to be found when you need them.

Image
Last edited by Bolo I'a on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUCK is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY
<*)))><

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 3160
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 pm

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by Brian F. » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:54 am

Did you report the license plate number also? This will be very helpful and thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

User avatar
Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 1956
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Oahu

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by Bolo I'a » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 pm

i couldn't get the license plate number. i was fishing solo so i didn't want to check out the truck at night and only notice the out-of-state tags as i passed the truck when i left in the morning. i spoke to one of the guys who was walking on the papa in front of my poles and he said they were from Makiki. maybe better to bring some scare tactics of the wild west to the north...or maybe some vigilante justice...sooo frustrating.
LUCK is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY
<*)))><

island driver
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: kapolei

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by island driver » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:24 pm

Should have called HFD to put out that "brushfire"! 8)
oh sorry, i didn't know it was just pallets....

44808
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Kaneohe

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by 44808 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Bolo I'a wrote:
DLNR gets on the fishermen's okole about every little thing but they're nowhere to be found when you need them.

true :x
Rippin' lips

User avatar
RubbishFishCatcha
200+ Club
200+ Club
Posts: 283
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Waipio Gentry, Oahu

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by RubbishFishCatcha » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:12 pm

island driver wrote:Should have called HFD to put out that "brushfire"! 8)
oh sorry, i didn't know it was just pallets....
haha, that sounds like a good idea

User avatar
Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 1956
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Oahu

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by Bolo I'a » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:49 pm

HFD responds very quickly for bonfires along the paved road. They come with sirens blaring. It's best to wait until the fire gets pretty big before calling 911 so the guys can't put it out right away and split.
LUCK is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY
<*)))><

User avatar
k1 designz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 930
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by k1 designz » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:00 pm

maybe they honestly didn't know about bonfires (RE: out of state tags)
when i was living in colorado i didn't know wher you could camp and what-not
but seen people camping in the same spot a few weeks before
i asked if i needed a permit but the rangers said camping wasn't allowed at all !!

just my 2 cents

maybe they never know maybe did they did know but someone needed to tell them.

we all have to do our part to not get spots shut down right ?

not saying that going there alone to tell people they can't make bonfire
cause that might be dangerous.

like i said just my 2 cents
still gotta try!!
Nomo nating .....yet !

44808
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Kaneohe

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by 44808 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Bolo I'a wrote:HFD responds very quickly for bonfires along the paved road. They come with sirens blaring.
They come hauling a**, way too fast they should be worried about safety of pedestrians & just other people on the road that don't know how to drive. And yes Sirens On all the time no matter what, That's the thing unlike all the other parts of the City & County Emergency Services, they run sirens no matter what 2AM in a small neighborhood waking everyone up. Witch is pretty unnecessary, EMS & Police shut off their sirens when needed.
Rippin' lips

User avatar
kahekili
Mega poster
Mega poster
Posts: 593
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Kahaluu, Oahu

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by kahekili » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:15 am

radonboats wrote:
Bolo I'a wrote:HFD responds very quickly for bonfires along the paved road. They come with sirens blaring.
They come hauling a**, way too fast they should be worried about safety of pedestrians & just other people on the road that don't know how to drive. And yes Sirens On all the time no matter what, That's the thing unlike all the other parts of the City & County Emergency Services, they run sirens no matter what 2AM in a small neighborhood waking everyone up. Witch is pretty unnecessary, EMS & Police shut off their sirens when needed.
im an EMT on the ambulance and we run our sirens until we get on scene cause that way the person(s) in need of help know we are on our way, it gives them a sense of hope...if you were the one that needed help wouldnt you hope that we did all we can to get to you as fast as we can...i know i sure would... we've arrived on scene a little over 6 mins after the person was pronounced unresponsive, sometimes it was a matter of just a few more cars paying attention, instead of having their music blasting so loud that we can hear it over our sirens :twisted: ...these are the kind of people who you should be mad at...we could of gotten their faster if not for these type of people

just venting, it happened the other night :oops:

User avatar
limu
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 2436
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:31 am
Location: Oahu

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by limu » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:42 am

kahekili wrote:im an EMT on the ambulance and we run our sirens until we get on scene cause that way the person(s) in need of help know we are on our way, it gives them a sense of hope...if you were the one that needed help wouldnt you hope that we did all we can to get to you as fast as we can...i know i sure would... we've arrived on scene a little over 6 mins after the person was pronounced unresponsive, sometimes it was a matter of just a few more cars paying attention, instead of having their music blasting so loud that we can hear it over our sirens ...these are the kind of people who you should be mad at...we could of gotten their faster if not for these type of people
first off, thank you kahekili for doing what you guys do. i know for some it's just an occupation until they become the recieving end (god forbid). your right, instead of hating, people should appreciate that you are able to use the siren to get to and to rush people to the hospital. i know you guys have saved my 18 month old son from the unthinkable when he was in trouble not too long ago. again, thank you very much.
Image
Image

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 3160
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 pm

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by Brian F. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:49 am

I will second the thank you as I've also had loved ones who needed urgent care by EMT/HFD and appreciate how you guys do your job. What you do: I can't ever accurately imagine what it's like, knowing the things you need to respond to. Mahalo.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

44808
VIP Poster
VIP Poster
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Kaneohe

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by 44808 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:02 am

kahekili wrote:
radonboats wrote:
Bolo I'a wrote:HFD responds very quickly for bonfires along the paved road. They come with sirens blaring.
They come hauling a**, way too fast they should be worried about safety of pedestrians & just other people on the road that don't know how to drive. And yes Sirens On all the time no matter what, That's the thing unlike all the other parts of the City & County Emergency Services, they run sirens no matter what 2AM in a small neighborhood waking everyone up. Witch is pretty unnecessary, EMS & Police shut off their sirens when needed.
im an EMT on the ambulance and we run our sirens until we get on scene cause that way the person(s) in need of help know we are on our way, it gives them a sense of hope...if you were the one that needed help wouldnt you hope that we did all we can to get to you as fast as we can...i know i sure would... we've arrived on scene a little over 6 mins after the person was pronounced unresponsive, sometimes it was a matter of just a few more cars paying attention, instead of having their music blasting so loud that we can hear it over our sirens :twisted: ...these are the kind of people who you should be mad at...we could of gotten their faster if not for these type of people

just venting, it happened the other night :oops:
Yeah i guess it just depends where you're working (Kahuku, Wailua, Waianae). But you know what it mean running at 2am and then running at 8pm i could see the difference. But like i was saying small neighborhood 2am no one on the road.... I know theirs always gonna be the Dumb*ss drivers. And also there's a difference between you and Fire really what are they going to do on a call like that give oxygen and wait on scene till you guys get there (I'm Sure you know how fire is I'm not even gonna bring that up :lol: ). But i was applying that with out of town cases. You know what i mean, lets say if you working Metro, Makiki, Charlie or even Pawaa i wasn't applying it to those type of situations i meant like in the country area's. So how was that call unresponsive eh, so was DOA wen you guys got there or transport 2 Castle.
Rippin' lips

KaenaCaretaker
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by KaenaCaretaker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:40 pm

Would you mind if I add this picture to our Lawaiʻa Action Network blog & fb page?

In the future, if you see anyone tearing up the aina with their vehicles burning pallets, please let me know @ culturalpractice@gmail.com - I am trying to collect & document license plate #s, vehicle descriptions & date, time and description of violations . . . if you can get video or photos, even better! Oh yeah, please let me know if they are military or not.

Also, if there is any harrassment of lawaiʻa/fishing community @ Kaʻena, please contact me @753-4221 - any time.

Mahalo!
Summer
Lawaiʻa Action Network

takecaredaaina
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 am

Re: Camping & Bonfire inside Kaena

Post by takecaredaaina » Tue May 17, 2011 1:02 pm

to my bradahs if you see the guys coming in with pallets let them know about the rules i had told the military guys plenty times and they neva burn um its worth a try no sense in calling DLNR they not going come

aloha to the fisher men that clean up the area after the fish

P.S. one note to all if you not going take care of kaena point its going to be gone ,
shoots

Post Reply