Kawaikui laynetters CAUGHT!!!

If you see a violation, call DLNR at 643-DLNR (643-3567) & then report it here

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

xclusve

Kawaikui laynetters CAUGHT!!!

Post by xclusve » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Tuesday after work me and the family took a chance and went to kawaikui to check things out, throw a couple of poles in the water and see what happens. We got there and took a look around, only to notice 4 shiny things in the water on the left side, in front of the houses. At first, i thought it may just be rubbish floating, but i always keep a pair of binoculars handy...it wasn't rubbish! 4 floaters, laid out in a horseshoe about a good 60 yards across, maybe more. then, i check out straight out from the park, i see a guy on a boogie board, kinda unusual for kawaikui, so i start watching him, he's dropping a net from the jetty on the far left (where you can't even see the jetty unless you come down to the beach) and came across the entire park. Wait - there's more! on the other side of the jetty, they laid another net cutting off that side too! there were maybe 5 or 6 of them. i was searching for my husbands phone, only to find out he didn't have the dlnr number and let me tell you, i was feeling so helpless!! thankfully, a dlnr guy was just driving around and happened to come into the parking lot and saw the same things me and my husband did! I've never had any interaction with a dlnr officer approaching us to question us, so this was an eye opening experience. The officer went right up to them and confronted them, and those guys just played d*umb, looking at eachother like they didn't understand english and didn't answer him! the guy on the boogie board was still out laying and the other guys were all just standing/sitting around the table. the officer confronted them and pointed to the guy in the water and told them "he's with you?? GO GET him and bring ALL the nets OUT NOW!" the guys on the beach then decided that they didn't want to get wet again, so they started to throw rocks towards the guy to get his attention! the officer looked at them and said, "NO! GO IN THE WATER AND GET HIM!! BRING BACK ALL THE NETS AND YOU BETTER NOT BE DUMPING ANYTHING OUT OF THE NETS - I'M WATCHING YOU!"
Needless to say, they brought out the nets empty, but they sure did take a while bringing the nets in so careful like. by the time we left, all i heard was they got 3 citations, i'm not even sure that their nets were confiscated or not. the whole time they were claiming ignorance. i'm just thankful that the officer was driving around. and i made sure the dlnr number is in all our phones to make the call!
I grew up fishing and my fondest memories are of my dad and uncle going ulua fishing and me in tow. to hear that bell in the dead of night - there's nothing else like it! It's guys like those who just ruin everything and they claim ignorance and get away with it. they take such a precious natural resource and don't seem to care that the fish can't reproduce fast enough and all the damage they are doing to the reef and the fishing grounds in general.
Just SAD!

Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Kawaikui laynetters CAUGHT!!!

Post by Bolo I'a » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:46 pm

good news for a change. on Oahu it's like the DLNR/DOCARE is never around when you need them. thank you for sharing.
LUCK is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY
<*)))><

limu
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by limu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:11 pm

Bolo I'a wrote:on Oahu it's like the DLNR/DOCARE is never around when you need them.
they should change their acronym to DONTCARE

Bolo I'a
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Bolo I'a » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:51 pm

or NOCARE....Neglect of Conservation and Resources Enforcement
LUCK is what happens when PREPARATION meets OPPORTUNITY
<*)))><

VIP Poster
VIP Poster