Disturbing

If you see a violation, call DLNR at 643-DLNR (643-3567) & then report it here

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

uluakane
Member 50+
Member 50+

Disturbing

Post by uluakane » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:47 am

Yesterday I went to Malaekahana to fish, what do I see, a laynet 30 yards from shore almost all the way to the island. Another net to the left and right the nets must of been 500 yards or longer. A park worker was watching this too, he said the have been doing this for 3 or 4 weeks Tuesdays, Wed., Thurs. They also lay nets to the left and right boundries of the park. So in total they had 5 super long nets in the water.They called DlNR but nothing. They leave the net overnite. They use 2 14 foot Livingston flat bottom boats with motors to lay and pick up the net. Remember how Kuhuku golf course was like 15 years ago choke oios and papios occassional uluas. Now nothing, a old timer said that lay netters caught 5000-7000 pounds of oios and papios a bunch of times and the fish never returned to this day.

goodtimes
Member 25+
Member 25+

Re: Disturbing

Post by goodtimes » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:57 am

Yup my brother went down to go whip Thursday morning, he saw the same thing, he described the nets in the same spots. And the park keeper told them in the first few weeks they raked in choke fish and now they hardly catch anything in the net but the still lay the nets week after week 3Xs per week. I guess the fish are gone??? A diver that came out of the water told my brother that there was a net under water on the left side of the point about 250 yard from shore he tried to remove it but it was stuck. This net was 200-300 yards in length.

shorecaster96744
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by shorecaster96744 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Encourage the park keeper and any other witnesses to get some media exposure into the fact that DLNR was contacted and nothing was done. Should go a long way towards helping Mr. Lingles monkey that is in charge of the DLNR. Mr. Lingle already has bad press with regards to her pick for Chief Justice.

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:57 pm

If they not responding to your calls & coming down 2 look just go uncle Chang's house in Hauula. Or go to the other house down after punaluu beachpark with all the DLNR trucks parked inside the fense.

Goodluck with the media.
Rippin' lips

mrfocker
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by mrfocker » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:39 pm

uluakane wrote:.They called DLNR but nothing.
This is sad. What a waste.

Peesherman
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Peesherman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:38 am

Sorry if this sounds a bit rash but....

im not surprised how someone hasnt attacked a DLNR guy yet for their lack of.. well pretty much everything that their job tittle entitles them to do. I think I shall email some people...
You took the time to search every post I made on here? Im flattered.

Slydbaita
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by Slydbaita » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:02 am

Same thing on the BI. Had some fools a few months ago who layed a huge net across Keahou bay. The net broke lose and ripped a bunch of coral off and had plenty of by-catch. There were choke complaints and the DLNR "was going to look into it". WTF? I understand the revenue from tagging boats/trailers for expired reg but the disregard for people raping the reef is un-excusable.

I know DO-CARE officers can not be everywhere every time but it's time to do something or our kids will only be catching opupalu's (if their lucky).

seen
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by seen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:59 am

Dlnr? The net guys should be put infront a board of there peers. If was like the olden days you wouldn't get one fine or jail. It would be punishable by death!

SloTroller
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by SloTroller » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Rather than report illegal netting, call in a sighting of "camping paraphernalia". That'll bring 'em running! :-)

It''s sad that this is the very sort of illegal fishing that needs to be acted upon by DLNR enforcement, yet it's not being stopped.

In Alaska, State Police is authorized to enforce fishing regulations. Maybe our State Sheriffs should become actively engaged if DOCARE is severely understaffed?

pmv_rc
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by pmv_rc » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:20 pm

all good points slotroller :!:
must catch 100lb ulua......must catch 100lb ulua

RubbishFishCatcha
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by RubbishFishCatcha » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:48 pm

SloTroller wrote:Rather than report illegal netting, call in a sighting of "camping paraphernalia". That'll bring 'em running! :-)

It''s sad that this is the very sort of illegal fishing that needs to be acted upon by DLNR enforcement, yet it's not being stopped.

In Alaska, State Police is authorized to enforce fishing regulations. Maybe our State Sheriffs should become actively engaged if DOCARE is severely understaffed?
better yet, say you see a monk seal trapped in the net or someone whacking one with a stick. They better come with that kind of report! :evil:

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:34 pm

RubbishFishCatcha wrote:
SloTroller wrote:Rather than report illegal netting, call in a sighting of "camping paraphernalia". That'll bring 'em running! :-)

better yet, say you see a monk seal trapped in the net or someone whacking one with a stick. They better come with that kind of report! :evil:
Or report a baby & mother monk seal in the net when there isn't, so they'll come down anyway to investigate. Hell if your gonna say two monk seals say a few turtles also :lol: "My Goodness they're breaking their shells open on the beach & eating them ALIVE?!?!" :roll:
Rippin' lips

SloTroller
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by SloTroller » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Add to all that: And the guys got guns and it looks like they're gonna shoot 'em! :-)

VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by 44808 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:43 pm

SloTroller wrote:Add to all that: And the guys got guns and it looks like they're gonna shoot 'em! :-)
Wait hold up.....make sure they're dumping jugs of bleach into the water also :wink: .
Rippin' lips

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 am

I think it would be helpful if everyone that actually saw these things going on would also call instead of just complain about it on the forum. I believe that one of the reasons why the "Report Violations Here" part of the forum was created was so that members could call in a violation and have a separate record to show how many calls were being made. This thread really belongs under that section. The Hawaii Freshwater Fishing Association guys did that a while back for Lake Wilson violations they witnessed but used index cards to keep a record. DOCARE eventually ended up checking more often because the club turned in the cards and made it hard to ignore. Shoreline fishermen should be doing the same.

Here's the thing: environmental groups got support from DLNR to create their own community watchdog systems called "Makai Watch". DLNR is even offering to provide training to these groups so that members know what to look for. When it was pointed out that fishermen have been an unofficial "Makai Watch" for years and years but no one comes when we call, fishermen were ignored. Fishermen already know what to look for and are there more than any other ocean user but now there are more uneducated people simply targeting fishermen to see what we might be doing wrong and increasing unnecessary calls even more.

Maybe it might help when calling in a violation to identify yourself as a Makai Watch member and see what happens. Really though, fishermen should be forming their own "Makai Watch".
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)