Birdnesting immediatly after releasing?

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Kdags_56

Re: Birdnesting immediatly after releasing?

Post by Kdags_56 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Kauaiboi808 wrote:Every time i cast even tho i ste thumbing the spool i still always end up birdnesting first thing i start thumbing da spool? I cant thumb the lip of the spool because there is no lip. Any advice? I really want to cast far enough to get to da strike zone. Really embarassing when i ste at one spot all ready for cast and birdnest first thing and my lead only go 30 yards and by da time i finish unravel my birdnest my lead ste stuck :?

Thank you for your advice!
Correct me if I'm wrong... But 30yrds can be in the zone too. :D
Don't feel bad, bird nesting happens.. So set up seems perfectly find.. Just practice and it will come.. Just smooth out your cast.. aim for the sky, once your lead touch the ocean then start thumbing.. :mrgreen:

But what do I know.. I'm a newbie to :x :roll: the forum..

BigJon555
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by BigJon555 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Sounds like the spool is spinning faster than the line is coming out. Try adjusting the cast conrol knob on the handle side. Might have not enough tension on the spool in free spool mode. I used to have that problem with my old jigmaster, could never cast ten jig as well as my sealines and Seagates, that's why people's to mag their jigs too.

reefmonsta
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by reefmonsta » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:22 pm

kona-ulua-style wrote:Reefmonsta... that is very clever way to train your thumb for the reel casting.... NICE idea..!

Aloha, "thumbs UP..!"
Thanks Kona, it also helps if you have an outdoor lanai on a high floor (I am on the 25th) but I wouldn't recommend doing it during the day time or when its windy. The downstairs neighbors didnt seem to happy with the idea... :oops:
reefmonsta
Instagram - follow @reefmonstah

Kauaiboi808
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Kauaiboi808 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

kona-ulua-style wrote:Toriums 50's... A way more smoother reel to cast than any Penn reels... NICE!

You may need to change your casting style...NO over power...look for a smoother action casting...Play with different lead sizes...maybe 9 oz..?
This happens to us when we throw to HARD or too over power the casting...?

80lb lines may make the reel spin slower too...tried 80lb lines.. For ulua fishing from shore...300 yds is perfect amount...and no less than 275yd ...you really don't need 400 + yds... If you walk out the 50lb test line...? you may reach Niihau..LOL

Best is to have a friend who casts very well and watch you cast... They may see something in the way you are casting to help correct your form..!

Casting...a conventional reel...is like striking a golf ball.... NEED the right swing and NOT always about power... and having the right club...?

When you can CAST your Ulua poles without " THINKING"...! YOU MASTER THE ART OF CASTING...! This is when you earn the BLACK BELT..!
...then you can wear the title: MASTER CASTER... or learning to master cutting bait..: MASTER BAITER..lol

Aloha, ....after 40 years of casting..finally reach brown belt... almost a master baiter too..! HA HA...
Thanks kona!

Went fishing today and not even one bird nest amazingly lol. I learned to let my pole do the work for me and cast with more proper form. Still not an avid caster but i know with a lot more practice i can improve on my distance. Still no ulua but i know that sooner or later the big one will hit and ill be ready.
Must catch first ulua... Must catch first ulua...

myota
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by myota » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Practice practice practice!

squid_eye
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by squid_eye » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:36 pm

All you can really do is practice an practice and practice. Technique is key a 135 lb. person can throw just as far as a 200 lb. person.

Kauaiboi808
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Kauaiboi808 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:36 pm

squid_eye wrote:All you can really do is practice an practice and practice. Technique is key a 135 lb. person can throw just as far as a 200 lb. person.
My line keeps on catching onto my thumb and just this pass weekend da line wen slice into the back of my thumb nail pretty deep. Any advice on how to prevent that?

Thanks ah my braddah! Mahaloz

Hope fully It wont dig into my thumb this upcoming friday

Wanksta808
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by Wanksta808 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Is your line spooled on the reel even and tight?

Kauaiboi808
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Kauaiboi808 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Wanksta808 wrote:Is your line spooled on the reel even and tight?
Yes my line is evenly spread and tight I got 40 pound big game

01SN8K
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by 01SN8K » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Do you keep your thumb close to the spool as you cast? It seems like your line is spooled loosely or the spool is going faster than the line coming out for there to be big loops that catch your thumb. As soon as i cast, my thumb is away from the spool and i will slowly bring it closer as the lead is flying. I apply pressure when the lead is near the surface and stop the spool on the splash, then release it to allow the lead to sink. I have never been jammed up in the line like you have. I have burned thumbs, completely birdnested the reel or get lucky and have a good cast. Depending on where i am at, ill leave a short cast instead of jacking up. Helps to stagger my lines and baits where I fish.

danfinn
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by danfinn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:33 pm

I am not any kind of authority on casting. But another thing that might be happening is your line isn't coming off the spool smoothly and is sticking together. That mixed with the natural gravity causing a slight bow in you line from reel to first eyelet, can easily cause your outgoing line to get sucked back under the spool while it's rotating and cause a bad birds nest. To mitigate this a bit, try tilting your rod so the reel is sideways right after you release to cast. That way the line sags to the side of the spool and can't get sucked down. To get rid of the line possibly sticking to itself you can try some Ardent line butter or KVD line and lure or Reel Magic(some saltwater guys swear by RM). This should reduce friction a lot and help with the line sticking to itself on the cast. It's also good to use just as a conditioner so your line doesn't get brittle or braid fuzzy. It's also good for the line that sits deeper on the reel that you don't regularly use. Or you can try replacing or reversing your braid. Those are just some things that it might be. Or maybe you're not releasing in time and causing reverse tension from the weight. Essentially the weight starts to loose it's forward momentum a little bit (usually with mono) and your line stretch is coming back to the reel. So the line on the reel wants to shoot off under the load but the same load isn't pulling equally on the line already off the reel resulting in the line moving at two different speeds. Sort of like the line out is waiting for the line on the reel to catch up.... and when it does... birds nest for days. Everyone has given a lot of possible reasons of what it could be. Probably through experiencing them first hand. I'm sure with all the info here you'll figure exactly what it is you're doing and fix it.

Kauaiboi808
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Kauaiboi808 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:35 am

danfinn wrote:I am not any kind of authority on casting. But another thing that might be happening is your line isn't coming off the spool smoothly and is sticking together. That mixed with the natural gravity causing a slight bow in you line from reel to first eyelet, can easily cause your outgoing line to get sucked back under the spool while it's rotating and cause a bad birds nest. To mitigate this a bit, try tilting your rod so the reel is sideways right after you release to cast. That way the line sags to the side of the spool and can't get sucked down. To get rid of the line possibly sticking to itself you can try some Ardent line butter or KVD line and lure or Reel Magic(some saltwater guys swear by RM). This should reduce friction a lot and help with the line sticking to itself on the cast. It's also good to use just as a conditioner so your line doesn't get brittle or braid fuzzy. It's also good for the line that sits deeper on the reel that you don't regularly use. Or you can try replacing or reversing your braid. Those are just some things that it might be. Or maybe you're not releasing in time and causing reverse tension from the weight. Essentially the weight starts to loose it's forward momentum a little bit (usually with mono) and your line stretch is coming back to the reel. So the line on the reel wants to shoot off under the load but the same load isn't pulling equally on the line already off the reel resulting in the line moving at two different speeds. Sort of like the line out is waiting for the line on the reel to catch up.... and when it does... birds nest for days. Everyone has given a lot of possible reasons of what it could be. Probably through experiencing them first hand. I'm sure with all the info here you'll figure exactly what it is you're doing and fix it.
Thanks I finally solved my nesting problem! I found out that It helps to release at 45 and keep on lowering my rod until its parallel to the ground. I noticed I wasn't following through my cast so maybe that's why I was nesting a lot?

Thank you every one for all your time and helpful advice! Aloha!