line slips under thumb while casting

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Kauaiboi808
100+ Club
100+ Club

line slips under thumb while casting

Post by Kauaiboi808 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:06 pm

Got this probllem when I wet my line and try for cast the line ends up slipping under my thumb causing me to crash my pole. How do I prevent the line from slipping while casting?

Thanks!
Must catch first ulua... Must catch first ulua...

redley41
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Re: line slips under thumb while casting

Post by redley41 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:23 pm

I don't wet my line before i cast at all. I only wet when line is brand new. I tend to wet the line while putting the line through the guides and let it dry while i rig up. I always wet my thumb before casting but wipe with a dry shirt or rag to just have the skin moist so their is grip on the dry line. You can try progrip it really helps when line is always wet. I bought from Brian's Fishing supply a while back.

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 pm

You can try thumbing the spool instead of the line.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Kauaiboi808 wrote:Got this probllem when I wet my line and try for cast the line ends up slipping under my thumb causing me to crash my pole. How do I prevent the line from slipping while casting?

Thanks!
We suggest you wet your line first..( being doing this way for over 40 plus years)...bait casting on Oahu and sliding on the Big Island... No one wants a burnt thumb..!

You lead maybe too heavy..? reason you cannot hold..? Go with a lighter size lead..? Change the set-up or rod could be too heavy too..?

Also when thumbing..try holding "tighter"...?j Wish we could see you casting..? ..to help you out..!

Aloha, 99% of the casters...can thumb..! ( ..? lift weights with the thumb..to make it stronger..? lol)

Solid

Post by Solid » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:43 pm

I used to have that problem while swing casting. Alls I did was hang da lead lower. I hang mine between the bell holder and reel. Soft cast couple times to find da groove den blast um :P

cruzingkauai

Post by cruzingkauai » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Thats how i snapped my first ulua pole. I found it better having a spray bottle to spray litely on the line only so water doesnt go all over the seat an/or grip section. Plus in my opinion and experience the slight pressure the spray bottle cause tend to make the water sip in deeper into the line.
Last edited by cruzingkauai on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

koriko613
Member 50+
Member 50+

Post by koriko613 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:44 pm

What we used to do is to soak our reels overnight. The thing that you have to remember though is to tighten down your drag so that water doesn't get inside.

BigJon555
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by BigJon555 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Try wetting line without drenching the spool. Lightly wet the line and make sure your hand is dry first as well

LetItFly
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by LetItFly » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 pm

maybe its slipping because your setup(lead & bait) is to heavy and its to much torque for your thumb to hold down while casting. I used to have this problem so i just usually lightened the lead or bait. Also i stopped wetting my spool so that i wouldnt need to lighten the bait and lead and would just lick my thumb :lol: . no need wet or soak the spool haha

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:52 pm

Need more exercize...

Dumpshot45
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Dumpshot45 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:55 am

Same with redley i dont went my line when casting the only time i wet my line is when my line is brand new.... Had that problem its jus when my hands are wet its slides try wiping it before casting and also wipe the spool where ur thumb is placed....well hope everything is better shoots