burn

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Hele Mai

burn

Post by Hele Mai » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:05 pm

still pretty new at this my thumb is getting burnt up after a while i cannot even cast affecting my distance any advise hot to protect my thumb?
Aloha

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: burn

Post by Brian F. » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:31 am

You can try wetting the line with water and/or thumbing the spool flange if there is enough sticking out. Thumbing the spool tends to allow you to apply smoother and more consistent pressure. A lot of times, someone's casting action can make a difference on how much you need to thumb the spool too. If you are casting line drives, you end up thumbing hard to stop the spool because it doesn't have time to slow itself down vs. casting in a higher arc for more hang time.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

Kauaiboi808
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Kauaiboi808 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Just keep casting you'll get used to the feeling, your thumb will build calis and when it does you won't feel a thing. Idont wet my line because the line tends to slip under my thumb and I don't feel a burn because I have calis. Also when you thumb the line try not to put your whole thumb surface on the line but only use the tip of your thumb.

Aloha! Hope this helps you!
Must catch first ulua... Must catch first ulua...

Hele Mai

Post by Hele Mai » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:25 pm

@brianF mahalo for replying ill try pay attention to where my thumb is positioned
@kauaiboi mahalo too i appreciate it i had calis but i never fish so long my thumb virgin again lol just gotta go more often
but big mahalos to both you guys Aloha
Aloha

Roadrunner808
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by Roadrunner808 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Hele...i just started casting conventionals for bout six months. what i do when my thumb starts feeling burned is i put on a glove. i still cast without one glove in the beginning to build up the calis.