2013 US National Long Distance Casting Tournament

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Don B
Mega poster
Mega poster

2013 US National Long Distance Casting Tournament

Post by Don B » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:57 am

The National Casting Competition was held October 5 & 6.

Although the event was scheduled to be held at the Kenilworth Athletic Field in Washington DC, the park was closed at the last minute and the event was relocated to Crisfield Maryland which is about 175 miles south of DC. A big thanks goes to Sportcast USA for quickly relocating the event to Crisfield. We often forget the efforts taking place to make things come together.

The event took place on an airport emergency landing field that was closed. The field was framed by trees on both sides that provided turbulance that hindered distance. The humidity and pressure were equally bad and much higher settings than normal of the magnets were required to reduce the number of break offs. Those people casting big numbers are to be highly commended for both their casting skills and ability to compensate for adverse conditions.

Will Nash from Texas was the big winner and turned in a cast of 802 feet.

The event was very family oriented with mother, father and their children participating. There were two people who are actually older than I am. Bill S at 87 years young cast 417 feet, while the younger Jim V at 77 cast 522 feet. They are inspirations for everyone.

States represented were New York, Virginia, New Jersy, Maryland, N Carolina, Texas, and Hawaii.

Here's a link to the tournament results:
http://www.longdistancecasting.forumfla ... topic=1655

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: 2013 US National Long Distance Casting Tournament

Post by Brian F. » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:03 am

Way to go, Don!
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

mbg60
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by mbg60 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Still got it Don.
Mark

O'Salt
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by O'Salt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Way to go Don. It is great to see the seasoned caster hanging in there with the young bucks. This year I have been using my conventional stuff a lot more than usual. Although the weather and time have been a factor this year. With the clean up after Superstorm Sandy and other things that have been getting in the way I have been out catching striped bass and tons of blues.

Looking forward to getting back to Oahu in May. We should be there on the 24th if everything goes as planned. We will have to get together either just to chat or wet a line together.

Happy Catching

Paul
http://www.mainlandstudio.com
Mainland Studio
Landscapes, Seascapes, and all things Marine

Don B
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by Don B » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:27 am

Thanks guys. Even us "seasoned casters" (aka old) appreciate a pat on the back from time to time.

It has taken a lot of time to get caught up after being away from home for about a week.

Before Merrick was bought by Mudhole, Merrick was our primary seller for Makoi Thread on the mainland . Bingham Enterprises has picked up Makoi Thread as a distributor for wholesale and retail sales on the mainland. Bingham Enterprises has been in business for quite some time and is a highly respected company. For the Maui folks, last week I sent out several hundred spools of thread to new Maui Fishing Supply. It was nylon in size D.

We do have a couple of ongoing projects:
Development of US made metallic and holographic metallic rod wrapping braid.
Development of two shore rods.
Import of reels.

Paul,

I'm looking forward to meeting up with you again. How about some leasure time at Sherwood Forrest. I can bring the tackle, bait, and "HAND WARMERS".

Mahalo,
Don

O'Salt
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by O'Salt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:50 am

Sounds great Don. I'll bring the McDonald's hamburgers being were be by the Forrest... I just made the reservations today and we are all set, we will be on the island starting May 24th till the 31st. I hope this time we can get to wet a line together.
http://www.mainlandstudio.com
Mainland Studio
Landscapes, Seascapes, and all things Marine