Survey: How many of you have a Penn Sqall Reel ?

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Survey: How many of you have a Penn Sqall Reel ?

Post by kona-ulua-style » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:02 am

Survey: Of Hawaii's Shoreline fisherman, that is using a Penn Squall Reel for Casting and Sliding Baiting..
We are starting to notice more users of this reel, and please what size Penn Squall you are using?
Reviews or your thoughts here too...

We now have two, (2) Penn Squall 60 reels, using for sliding baiting. 80lb mainline..
It has some of the biggest gears (internals), smooth casting, and in a price range we like too...
Still getting use too the lever drags...and easy to adjust to your desire level too...

Aloha,

Stevenc808

Re: Survey: How many of you have a Penn Sqall Reel ?

Post by Stevenc808 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:02 pm

I have a squall 40 star drag. Its does really well on casting, but I haven't caught anything big on it, so I can't say anything about the drags or how well it performs with a fish on the line. Overall the reel has smooth casting and the line capacity rings are great- lets you know how far you threw and how much line is left.

Malloebloodline

Post by Malloebloodline » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:43 pm

I have a 50ld squall loaded with 60lb prospec and a 60ld squall loaded with 60lb ande monster. I use both reels for sliding the 50 for light sliding like moanas and kupipis ,and the 60 for big baits like eel slabs ,nenue and 1-2lb talks. As of casting wise I really like the reel for casting. In my opinion the spool feels like it a little slower then a 4/0 when I cast. The only down fall that I think it has is that when you bird nest it's a little hard to untangle you because the top bar is big. I have still yet to catch on both of my reels so I cannot say anything about the drag.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:50 am

Thank-you for sharing your thoughts on this Penn Squall reels...

Hopefully more people will try this reel.... For the price range and features...we think this is a very good reel for Hawaii.

Time is the "reel" tester, for any fishing reels and rods...

Aloha,

kagami35
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kagami35 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:20 am

Anyone tried running the Squall 60 without the top bar? Or changed to a smaller top bar similar to a Penn 4/0 or Newell?