Best type of rod

Share your tips, tricks and experiences or ask questions for help

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

brystons

Best type of rod

Postby brystons » Sat May 28, 2016 11:31 pm

Aloha gang! So I've been fishing my entire life. When I got old enough to start ulua fishing with a conventional reel I started off with a roddy hunter and a nitro pole. I would like to upgrade to some custom rods. So I've done some research and came across some blanks like IRWs, talons, Batson, ect. I want something that I can comfortably bait cast with my 4/0, but slide if I need to. And also something Strictly for sliding with my 6/0. Any help would be awesome!

And also if I wanted to start wrapping my own poles what's the basic supplies I'd need? Mahalo in advance!

Silverstreak75

Re: Best type of rod

Postby Silverstreak75 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:27 am

Searching for answers too.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Best type of rod

Postby kona-ulua-style » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Here is my thoughts... It is fun and nice to know how to wrap your own rods... " just that".. everything you purchase will be retail..add the cost and time... Sometimes better to have it custom made by someone else... off course the left over stuffs many times can wrap a couple more rods...

I have a roddy hunter, Nitro, 16810- great rods, and shimano tallus... Shimano tallus is the way to go...great all around bait casting , sliding and even 6/0 ..i would trade my roddy hunter and my nitro for one tallus anyday..lol

Yes it is nice to own a Talon or Irw ... these are consider some of the best rods out there..

Aloha,

Return to “Rod Building”