NMFS Non-commercial Fishing Survey Participation

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Ellary T.

NMFS Non-commercial Fishing Survey Participation

Post by Ellary T. » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:24 am

Attention non-commercial fishermen of Hawai’i!

Express your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions regarding management of Hawai’i’s non-commercial fisheries! The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) is conducting a mail survey about saltwater non-commercial fishing and fisheries management in Hawai'i.

NMFS is the federal agency responsible for the stewardship of marine fishery resources and their habitat, and works together with state agencies to manage fish stocks so that fishermen have quality opportunities to participate in non-commercial fishing. NMFS is conducting this survey, with the help of Impact Assessment Inc., to improve their understanding of fishermen’s expectations and how they may be changing with fishing conditions.The survey will focus on reasons why non-commercial fishermen fish, their opinions about current management practices, and their preferences for management approaches in the future. Responses to this survey will provide a basis for more informed decision-making for fisheries managers and to determine non-commercial fishermen’s preferred management approaches.This is the perfect opportunity for the non-commercial fishermen of Hawai'i to express their thoughts and opinions directly to NOAA Fisheries resource managers. Your responses are strictly confidential and will not be associated with your personal identity.

If you are a non-commercial fishermen in Hawai’i, and you are interested in participating in the survey or have any questions regarding the survey, please feel free to call or email me. See contact information below. My name is Ellary TuckerWilliams and I work for Impact Assessment Inc. I am in charge of collecting the names and mailing addresses of willing participants to send the survey to at a later date. I look forward to hearing from the non-commercial fishing community of Hawai’i.

Mahalo!

hi.noncommercial.fishingsurvey@gmail.com
(808) 226-9085