A Proven Leader For Big Fish!

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Scuba Chris
Member 50+
Member 50+

A Proven Leader For Big Fish!

Post by Scuba Chris » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:22 am

As a former commercial fisherman i can say crimped leaders are much more dependable then tying knots for thicker fishing line. But slightly more costly. But if done correctly it does give the angler a higher percentage of successfully landing that giant. I'm going to share how to crimp a very strong dependable crimped leader that i used for +30yrs. Also how i crimp my regular leaders as well. Also some seldom showed extras.

At time frame 10:46 i'll show how to add a Flemish Eye. Great for using lighter line (when line visability is an issue for clearer water or fish that are sensitive to thicker lines).

At time frame 12:15 i'll show how to use a lighter to help hold those giants (sharks, groupers, marlins & tunas).

At time frame 13:25 i'll show how to crimp the most dependable & strongest crimped leader that has held multiple 300-800 Blue Marlins to 12-14ft 1/2 ton Tiger Sharks (which i release from live baiting).

Also how to add chaff tubing when needed and how to combine everything mentioned to create a leader that you can depend on.
The crimped leadering system can be used for the shore/surf caster as well as the troller. Line can vary from cable, wire, monofilament to fluorocarbon. I really don't recommend using mini swivels, if you're main line & swivels are of lighter grade then you're better off tying everything.

These suggested rigs are used by some commercial fishermen & can also benefit the recreational angler as well. I learned my craft diving, netting, bottom fishing & trolling the Hawaiian Islands as a commercial operator. I've piloted boats in fishing tournaments to canoe races.

I hope this information will help you hold onto your next big strike:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvhjO48OlE

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: A Proven Leader For Big Fish!

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 pm

Thank you....for this great video.... I like the idea of twisting line between the two crimps.....I have use two crimps many times...

Great idea about burning the loose ends to prevent lines from slipping out....

Very good reminders for crumpets and those who will may want to try these methods...

Aloha