Prevent nitro pole frome getting stuck together

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Kauaiboi808
100+ Club
100+ Club

Prevent nitro pole frome getting stuck together

Post by Kauaiboi808 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Recently my nitro heavy got stuck together but i finally got it out. How do i prevent it from not getting stuck together again?
Must catch first ulua... Must catch first ulua...

Puhi_Paka

Re: Prevent nitro pole frome getting stuck together

Post by Puhi_Paka » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Try put some bees wax or any kine wax on it helps keep it from getting stuck

myota
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by myota » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:15 pm

X2. Any kind wax will do. I used surf wax, candle wax, and bees wax. All worked in the same way.

bigruss
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by bigruss » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:43 pm

My father always told me to use the oil from the side of your nose. I never had a pole get stuck together, and it's free

kt
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:40 am

bigruss wrote:My father always told me to use the oil from the side of your nose. I never had a pole get stuck together, and it's free
Huh? :o Hmmm....interesting.... :?

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:23 am

If you want a permanent solution and don't mind "minor damage" then run some grooves vertically where the two pieces meet.
I do this to my poles with a serrated knife edge.
The grooved surfaces prevent the smooth surfaces from inducing a vacuum which makes it a pain to detach.
Props go to hochuch from teaching me this trick.

For a less permanent solution, like everyone said, use wax...
The problem with wax (or anything that produces a residue) is that if you get sand in there, it's a PITA to get the sand out. :(
If you don't get all the sand out, you end up scratching up the mating surfaces anyways...
This is why I scratch up my poles myself - no need worry about sand sticking all over the place.

pumehana
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by pumehana » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:38 pm

bigruss wrote:My father always told me to use the oil from the side of your nose. I never had a pole get stuck together, and it's free
Yes..."old school" trick from back when rod ferrules were two parts and made of metal..it works
f8ldzz wrote:If you want a permanent solution and don't mind "minor damage" then run some grooves vertically where the two pieces meet.
I do this to my poles with a serrated knife edge.
Sounds like it would work..but does the blank get damaged in the process?

I only use so much pressure when I put my 2-piece rods together...Ease it on, ease it off....All my rods that were difficult to separate were easily taken apart by two people wearing nitrile/latex gloves..

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:51 pm

:) Yes, +2 on the nose oil thing working but I only did that long time ago when there were metal ferrules on poles. Now, on my graphite rods, I apply some graphite from a soft lead pencil. If it gets stuck or if I have a hard time loosening, I apply ice around the male half for a few minutes and it usually frees up easily. With graphite rods being made up with thinner and thinner walls these days, I would hesitate to put any kind of mark on them.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

f8ldzz
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by f8ldzz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:52 pm

pumehana wrote:Sounds like it would work..but does the blank get damaged in the process?
I don't recommend this for the beginner, or if you're running really expensive blanks...
I only groove enough to hit the top gelcoat and not any of the fibers underneath.
I do have extensive experience with composites due to my automotive background, so I'm more comfortable with it.

I've had problems with 2-piece poles using wax getting stuck in mid-day heat and cooler temps / ice.
When putting the poles together in the middle of a hot day, the wax tends to fuse the splice together; usually stick around when the sun goes down and little later, drops in temperature will basically "glue" the splice together.
Also sand was a constant problem for me; the sound of even a single grain of sand getting stuck in there and trying to put the 2-piece pole together makes a pretty sickening sound. :(

You guys are right - you don't need a lot of pressure to keep the two pieces together.
I think this is the best advice, especially for composite-to-composite splices like most ulua poles today.

On an end note, the "scratches" makes it easy for me to identify my property, if it even comes down to that.
Most people don't do this, and I take pics of the scratch pattern, just in case...

pumehana
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by pumehana » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Mahalos f8ldzz for clarifying...Interesting to hear of different methods to keep rods from getting stuck/coming apart....There is a method that is guaranteed forever but not many people use it these days....it's called a "one-piece" :)