Bimini twist question

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

bigruss
Member 25+
Member 25+

Bimini twist question

Post by bigruss » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:37 am

Do the coils have to be absolutely perfect? I've watched numerous YouTube videos and I've tried for many hours. I can get the coils perfect on a rope, but on my 80lb test it doesn't come out perfect. I noticed on a YouTube video the guy using mono in his video (instead or rope) just let it twirl all the way down not worrying about the coils being perfect. So I was just wondering, if it had to be absolutely perfect for the knot to be effective?

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Bimini twist question

Post by kona-ulua-style » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Yes and no, depends on how bad ..or good the over lapping is...

To control the downward, need to use you thumb to guide...

The closer you are to perfect, the stronger and better results is a "given"...for more successful results.

We had a couple of not so good...yet it hold up very well , even after a few days of recasting and jacking up...

Aloha, all depends...?

pumehana
100+ Club
100+ Club

Post by pumehana » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:49 pm

How are you tying the Bimini?

If using your knees to hold the loop open, it's not too hard to lay nice coils...Key part is once you have the downward coil started..just RELAX the tension on the tag-end..Your other hand APPLIES tension on the mainline while your knees APPLY tension to the loop AT THE SAME TIME to spread it apart...The line will automatically coil itself downwards.

If using a nail or boat-cleat to tie it's a bit harder if you don't have a helper to spread the loop apart..but on the plus side you can get a much longer double line than the hands-and-knees method.

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:33 pm

pumehana wrote:How are you tying the Bimini?

If using your knees to hold the loop open, it's not too hard to lay nice coils...Key part is once you have the downward coil started..just RELAX the tension on the tag-end..Your other hand APPLIES tension on the mainline while your knees APPLY tension to the loop AT THE SAME TIME to spread it apart...The line will automatically coil itself downwards..
That's it right there. I like to use my two feet instead of knees.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

bigruss
Member 25+
Member 25+

Post by bigruss » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:39 pm

I got it I was using my big toe lol. But I finally got it perfect! Thanks!