knots for wire leader.

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

acharlie808

knots for wire leader.

Post by acharlie808 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Hey guys I was wondering what kind of knots you guys would use for Berkley 7 Strand Sevalon to a hook and swivel. Thank you

01SN8K
100+ Club
100+ Club

Re: knots for wire leader.

Post by 01SN8K » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Depends on the sevalon thickness. I used to do a clinch knot with that. There are some youtube videos of demanstrations on how some people tie their cables for fishing.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:46 pm

For Hawaii fisherman it seems these are the two most popular - Sevalon cable or the Berkley wire cable ...strands type... 120 lb ..approx. weight test. for Ulua sliding bait leaders...

Before these wire cables were available to the fisherman... people would use air-craft cables, these were super strong, and you find some old timers still using this on the slide buckles attach to hooks... will last for decades..

One popular knot that is use is the Flemish eye, with crimp.

We still use the Flemish knots for our wire cables leaders....and slid rigs... ( Flemish eye knot is also use on our 200lb mono leaders- got to tighten tight, and best to use two crimps..for the mono leaders...use to connect to our stop ring swivels...)

Aloha,

Note: Sevalon has a thicker plastic coating and it seems to rust faster than the Berkley cables... (Berkley cables has a black or clear thinner plastic coating ..

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Some use the Figure 8 knot but there is a really simple knot that Big Island guys use that is a variation. It's so simple you think 'how can?" but it worked for me. Can't find a picture online but will take one later to put up.
Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

Brian F.
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Brian F. » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:45 pm

I don't know what the name is but the knot I was taught is very similar to a sheet bend that is used to join lines or rope of very different sizes. This is 135 lb test Berkley Steelon. I was told the half hitch at the end is not necessary but it seemed to me that it would be better to get the slide over it. Never once failed and although I didn't catch a ton of ulua, it caught fish for me that ranged from 40s to upper 70s. This is my attachment to the stop ring or short wire dead end rig. Suppose you could use it on the eye of a hook also but I'd prefer to crimp.

Aloha,
Brian F.

"No House, No Fish"
"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"
http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed above are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)