Bait to use while camping

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

VinoJon

Bait to use while camping

Postby VinoJon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 am

Hello from Colorado

I'm going to Kauai to backpack the Na Pali coast (to Kalalau beach) for 6 days in late September / early October. This is my 4th time hiking the trail but my first with fishing gear. I've got an 8-1/2ft MH shore pole and a Penn 6000 live liner reel running 40 lb braid. Besides whipping I'd like to fish bait if possible. Unfortunately not much of the coast is accessible to fish. I read about the importance of keeping bait live, or at least fresh, which won't be an option for me unless I can catch any
Oama....

Any suggestions for something I can pack in and use? If not any suggestions on non-live bait (bread, fruit, ect) that I can bottom fish with?

Mahalo in advance

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Bait to use while camping

Postby kona-ulua-style » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:05 pm

6 days wow.. Sounds like fun to rough it..

One thing you can try... is find squid in markets ( frozen most likely)... Using hawaiian salt... heavy...salt on bottom ..squid in middle, more salt...pour any excess water out... kinda like making jerky... once all the liquids is out,.. seal it....

Look for preserved fish baits at your local fishing stores, i have seen them at Kona Walmarts,,,fish in a seal bag...No refrig..just open and use...
my fishing partner tried them...2-3 inch long looking fish... Work OK..

You can alway cut up any fish you catch too...

Enjoy your hike and fishing trip...!

Aloha,
PS Google Magic preserved fish baits...all kinds...walmart has a good selection too.. i am sure most of the fishing stores near should carry these preserved minnows, shads, etc..

Pupule
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Postby Pupule » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:00 am

Pack in a few cans of sardines and a couple of loaves of bread. You can make small dough balls for bait and float them to catch live bait (like mamo, kupipi, hinalea, etc). I'd recommend bringing a small spinner setup as your "bait pole", so you can be catching bait and dunking for bigger fish at the same time.

Silverstreak75

Postby Silverstreak75 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:52 am

Pupule wrote:Pack in a few cans of sardines and a couple of loaves of bread. You can make small dough balls for bait and float them to catch live bait (like mamo, kupipi, hinalea, etc). I'd recommend bringing a small spinner setup as your "bait pole", so you can be catching bait and dunking for bigger fish at the same time.

I will try that for now on.

Return to “Bait”