Big Island Spots

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Tekota
Member 50+
Member 50+

Big Island Spots

Post by Tekota » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:23 pm

I've have not fished these places and was wondering if they are open to the public or if fishing is even allowed.
(This is a golf corse I think in south kona)
(a bit south some place I really dont know it)
(a spot close to milolii, over an old lava flow)

on the east side, Next to the the large crater in volcanoes national park

Is there a place to fish from shore in kealakekua bay, a place called dan uchi maybe? Im not sure.
You going out trolling, or do you reserve that for the forum?- pete in hilo

davistn
200+ Club
200+ Club

Re: Big Island Spots

Post by davistn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:11 pm

!st pic: Like UluaFishOnDaRun said, Hokulia. Can fish day time only for public access. Night time you gotta know someone that has rights to go down there. Last year someone pulled a 40 from the beach house area. To the right of that looks good, never did fish the right though...

2nd pic: I believe its a private area. I think theres a gate by the main road.

3rd pic: Dunno :roll: Heard was junk over there... Heard the road was terrible.

4th: Probably need to know someone from Kalapana? Hopefully someone can chime in.

The one by Kealakekua Bay is private.

Pete_in_Hilo
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pete_in_Hilo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:12 am

Fishing in eastern portion of Hawaii Volcanoes N.P. is reserved for Native Hawaiian residents of
Kalapana an their guests. To fish there, you must have your Kalapana "guide" with you.
if you get caught without, it's a law enforcement issue.

Fishing in the Western portion of the park is open to the public. Public fishing starts at
a point between Keauhou & Halape (there's a small, but very evident, pali along the trail).
You can fish between there and the western boundary of the park.

To do so, you're in for some hiking. Shortest hike is probably down the Hilina Pali Trail, end
of Hilina Pali Road. to either Halape or Ka'aha. Maybe 4 miles, but a 2000' elevation change.
It is steep, and it gets VERY hot during the day, so you need to be prepared if you go. Go
with friends. It's backcountry, and their is no help down there. People have died on those trails
by not being prepared. If you hike along the coast, it's flat but closer to 10 miles one way.

The fishing out there can be excellent, but you have to work for it, and carrying a big fish
back really isn't an option. Camping is the best option, Get a permit at the visitors
center if you decide to go.
Now on Maui. Choose your nickname wisely....

The reason I fish is because I like to experience the fish. I want to see them, hear them, smell them. - Larry Dahlberg

Makule

Post by Makule » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Hiked down the Hilina Pali trail many years ago. Took 1 hour down and then 1 1/2 hour across to the ocean. Going down and back up was tough (and I was in good shape). Total walking time was 4 hours. Going across the flat was easy but far.

There is another trail that is not as steep and is used when people take the horses. It's farther but easier to get to the base of the pali. Hard to imagine anyone going camping/fishing there w/o a horse to carry in supplies (water, food, cooler, fishing stuff).

elek
200+ Club
200+ Club

Post by elek » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:16 pm

I met one braddah who packed his 100lb ulua out of kalapana

Pete_in_Hilo
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pete_in_Hilo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:09 pm

elek wrote:I met one braddah who packed his 100lb ulua out of kalapana

From what I hear, that's about a 45 minute hike across the new lava
now. Godawful hot once the sun is over the horizon. If I caught a
big ulua out there, I'd be giving it CPR :lol:
Now on Maui. Choose your nickname wisely....

The reason I fish is because I like to experience the fish. I want to see them, hear them, smell them. - Larry Dahlberg

Pupule
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by Pupule » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:00 pm

That 3rd pic: Might that be Opihi Hale? (It's sometimes pronounced Opihaili.)

graybeard808

Post by graybeard808 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:09 pm

aloha,
I am new to the forums here and ever wondered if anyone has tried old coast guard? I have had some good luck down there.Plenty of reef fish of decent size and recently thanks to this forum and a few others I have had some luck catxhing some nice sized papio. Also upolu airport here in north kohala along with the new retreat Dr. Watkins opened up. The latter of the 2 are a little hike but worth the walk.

deepkona
Big Time Poster
Big Time Poster

Post by deepkona » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:23 am

Aloha graybeard,
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your catches...!!!
I'm glad the forum has made it a little more productive for you on your outings.

I grew up on the Big Island but not familiar with "Old Coast Guard" area...? In Kohala...?
Hey, if you catching, then all good huh...!!!
We went to a "Kato Ranch" in Kohala ONCE...! Drove down the pasture by some Ironwood trees to a high cliff. It was killers hiking down the zig-zag trail to the fishing spot but even worse hiking up to the trucks and camping area. If we got a strike(and we didn't), the fish would have been in Maui by the time we got down to the poles. Hence, only went ONCE but small game was good action.
Mahalos,