Oahu in October

Moderators: primo808, 96743, bluefinmod

Big Events

Oahu in October

Post by Big Events » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:26 am

Hello pacific water friends, I am going to be on Oahu at the Ko olina beach villas from October 12 - 19! I dont salt water fish much, and have never been to Hawaii so I was wondering if there was some good surf spots near by and some good bait shops. More importanly, I need advice on baits. I am bringing some yo zuri baits, spoons, and maybe some soft baits...not much! I will have a car so travelling the island wont be a problem. Thanks in advance!

N8H

Re: Oahu in October

Post by N8H » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Where are you from and what kind of gear are you bringing?

Big Events

Post by Big Events » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:38 pm

I am from ohio and i was going to bring a 6'6 or 7'0" medium heavy rod and an abu garcia C3 bait caster...its all i have for big game (cat fish). I was thinking about buying a rod there, but not sure how expensive they are.

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Post by kona-ulua-style » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:08 pm

You may want to go whipping with lighter game stuffs... and you can fish at any open beaches... consider a med action light game rod maybe 6lb-8lb in the reels and 6 foot rods will be fine... 8 feet may be better for whipping along the shore lines...

Just use the simple clear or gritter strips (few bucks) about 2 1/2 inches long... 1/2 - 1 oz torpedo lead and swivels...

Ulua whipping...may need to go more extreme places on Oahu? but can be caught any where from shore too..they are always on the move..

Any resort will have locals who fish and can tell where to go...in fact at the resort you are staying maybe one of the better places to fish at...ask resort workers..?

Most fishing stores are a good source for lures and gear...

Aloha, enjoy the fishing...!

UluaHunta
Mega poster
Mega poster

Post by UluaHunta » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:02 pm

check out Walmart get shimano fx rods 9ft $20 can't go wrong with this price/rod!
loose $$ money!!

808crank_em

Post by 808crank_em » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:11 pm

If you surfing check out white plains in barbers point.

Big Events

Post by Big Events » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:08 am

thanks for all the replies and advice, and thanks to some of the PMs! Unfortunately, we just didnt have enought time to devote to fishing. We did diamond head, haiku stairs (incredible), watched surfing at the north shore, attempted surfing in waikiki, had some awesome sushi, checked out a deserted beach on the north west side and watched a sunset there, snorkled at haumana bay, snorkled at ko olina, drove around the whole island, watched a sunrise at lanikai beach...we did so much in the week that I just didnt have the time...maybe next time! hopefully score some maui wowi too ;)...thanks all!

O'Salt
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by O'Salt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:11 pm

The next time you go out to the islands think of this... I usually buy a fishing set up or 2 and fish when I can and than donate it set ups to a local Fire House and mention that you would like it to go to a child or family that can not afford to spend the money. Just a suggestion. Plus there are other organizations there like the Elks that cater to the Special Needs Children. There is one in Ewa I believe and a big one in Honolulu.

Happy Catching

Paul
http://www.mainlandstudio.com
Mainland Studio
Landscapes, Seascapes, and all things Marine