Maui fun fishing?

Moderators: primo808, bluefinmod, 96743

Tha2Hander

Maui fun fishing?

Post by Tha2Hander » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:13 am

Hi everyone, thanks for letting this mainlander join the forum. I'm visiting Maui this September for our first vacation with the kids...I have a couple young kids under 3 and want to introduce them to some fun-fishing. We'll catch and release everything so any advice you got on bait, line, weight, lures, location(s), secret spots is much appreciated. My son gets really excited when we just catch bluegill in the ponds here. I mostly do freshwater and flyfish in rivers so on a scale of 1-10...I'm about a .005 for knowledge of ocean fishing.

Much Mahalo,

Tha2Hander

kona-ulua-style
VIP Poster
VIP Poster

Re: Maui fun fishing?

Post by kona-ulua-style » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:05 am

Surf casting can be done anywhere and on all islands...( sometimes just in front of the hotels can be best the fishing spots... ) Hawaii shoreline fisherman uses the term - Bait Casting ...everyone else calls it surf casting''
Using live or cut baits - Squid, shrimp, or aku belly or any fish can be cut up into pieces of baits..

Bait casting is usually refer to Hawaii's shoreline fisherman when using Ulua rods and conventional reels..
Dunking can be Ulua rods - but the term is usually refer to spinning reel outfits...

Any size fishing rods and reels can be use...even hand poles .... For the most fun just target reef fishes...
6-10 lb fishing lines... 9 Ah hooks should work for you...3000 or 4000 reel size is good for this style of fishing.
3 years old- about 10- 12 foot hand pole fishing is best and will be lots of fun for him..

Blue gill fishing methods.. will work here.. I use to catch Blue gills and bass in Wahaiwa, Hawaii's fresh water streams...

Whipping - or throw lures ... you got Big game-( Uluas ) and these can get to over 100lbs..See Ulua fishing in Hawaii.. and whipping for other smaller game reef fishes...

What to use and sizes? Just too many types of fishes and sizes plus each can be caught with many different methods...size fishing lines and hook sizes..

Keep it simple... smaller reels, hooks and fishing lines will catch more fishes..

Google: Ulua fishing in Hawaii..and other Hawaii fishing styles, Hand pole fishing , etc..
Hundreds of different reef fishes in Hawaii... each has it's own unique way to catch them..

Enjoy your vacation... PAU - Hawaiian word you will hear often... Means - Finish, done, quit ,etc.. I am "pau" writing...

Aloha, once stay at a Holiday Inn...lol

PS: Read the Whipping . Plugging and other forums here on this site...for better info's!

Tha2Hander

Re: Maui fun fishing?

Post by Tha2Hander » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Thank you for the reply "kona-ulua-style". I'm sure we will have fun. I'll post anything worth mentioning and a link to youtube if anything funny or stupid happens.

~Tha2Hander.